Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Rights of Which Women, Exactly?

This is really controversial...I know women who find it deeply offensive that any religious teaching ever required women to cover themselves in any way (although I'm told that all the Koran requires is that women wear shirts in the presence of men, that veils are an option that originated in the desert where men use them too). And I also know women who find it deeply offensive that society demands that we display our body shapes, hair, or faces, and that we conform to certain stereotypes about the way these displays "should" look.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/8283003/italy_advances_bill_for_vote_which.html?cat=9

Consider the American Muslim students who insist on wearing head scarves on any campus near you. Whether their hair is kinky or wispy, I'd bet that every one of them has inherited a type of hair that happens to be unfashionable, and prefers covering up the whole issue (the hair) rather than spending time and money on efforts to make their hair conform to a pattern set by a different genetic type of people. And some days I enjoy other people's enjoyment of my wispy hair, and some days I wish people would accept that, although I'm not a Muslim, I may still want to wear a head scarf.

I'd support legislation to criminalize forcing anyone to dress in a certain way (although it'd be hard to enforce), but for that very reason, as a feminist I would oppose any ban on any degree of veiling or covering an individual woman may choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment