Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Littering Is Bad: HB758

Virginia House Bill #758 would, if enacted, recognize a difference between casual littering (dropping an empty can) and criminal littering (dumping trash in a park, dumping sewage into a watercourse, etc.). However, it's a proposed addition to a bill that's already long and, well, funny-looking. Full text:

http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?121+ful+HB758

At best, it would be very interesting to know exactly what situation prompted the writing of this bill. If any readers are acquainted with, or are constituents of, Delegate Hodges, I'd appreciate the story.

Tea Partiers want to know whether HB758 has anything to do with Agenda 21, and I'm sorry to say I have no idea. If the full text of this chunk of law has anything to do with any single situation, I can't imagine what that situation might be.

As I read the section in italics, which is what's up for debate, I was picturing situations like something I've seen in Maryland, where certain businesses and localities persistently let raw sewage and chemical waste drain into the Anacostia River, often flooding sewers and flowing across the hiking trails. Yesss! Stick it to'em! Long overdue! Then I got down to the section that's already in the law, which seems to regulate when and how the Department of Motor Vehicles may release driver's license information...how does this fit together? Now I'm picturing disgruntled DMV employees dumping masses of confidential papers off the boat dock at a waterfront park. Has this happened?

This web site doesn't have a category for "Weird News." Do we need one?

No comments:

Post a Comment