Saturday, July 7, 2012

Phenology: Heat Wave, Pampering the Camera

Heat doesn't bother me, but humidity does. When I woke up this morning the temperature was only about 70 degrees Fahrenheit, but the air was so thick I felt that I wasn't getting adequate oxygen by breathing. (That happens, in the summer, in the shady green folds of a reforested mountain.)

Fortunately, although it's Saturday, I have a valid reason to go into town. A disposable camera had to be purchased, for legal reasons, last week. I would have preferred to save the film to capture images to go with these phenology posts for another month or two. Weather conditions are making that impossible. In order to keep legal evidence from being destroyed by heat and humidity, I have to use up the film and get the pictures developed.

Images of kittens and other interesting things should be online next week.

For those who may have wondered, the photos of four Gena Greene dolls (here) were snapped by Victoria Cooley while she was working at Oliver's. Unfortunately they face outside, so you see more of the cars and bicycles on the street than you do of the dining-room suite...that red and white chair cushion belongs to one of eight or ten chairs that are displayed with a table, chandelier, napery, as I recall even a coordinating silk-flower centerpiece. It's quite an interesting display.

Will I be able to snap a picture of that dining-room suite today? Many stores have been closed during the heat wave. I don't know whether Oliver's will be open, or which other stores will want to have their displays photographed.

Anyway, during the next week or two, if all goes well, you should be able to make a virtual visit to the Cat Sanctuary and to Gate City's historic downtown shopping section.

No comments:

Post a Comment