Monday, November 19, 2012

Sharing with the Cats

Something I should have posted long ago, but it takes time for an occasional behavior choice to become an everyday policy. My diet (the diet of the real blogger who writes as "Priscilla King") has changed since I (Priscilla King) came into existence in cyberspace. Many of my lifestyle choices haven't changed a bit between years of prosperity and years of austerity, but this one has.

By choice, I'm still an omnivore who eats mostly vegan meals. That is, if I can afford what I like, I like mostly vegan meals. It's easier to balance a diet that's mostly plants, equally satisfying to the palate, and more satisfying to the soul.

However, since the cost per pound of little flat tins of cat food (not locally produced) went past the cost per pound of cheap-grade chicken and turkey (locally produced), I've been buying some sort of cheap meat, regularly, and cooking it along with my rice and beans. The cats (who don't have the option of going vegan) thus get their "treat" meal; sharing food with their human makes them feel loved. I'm not averse to eating meat and like the flavor it adds to my meal too.

I think this is an excellent frugal tip for anyone who lives with enough animals (several cats, or one big dog) to eat up most of a pound of meat.

I would warn readers, though: Always boil or broil meat thoroughly before eating it. Even if it's called "cold cuts," heat it up. Whether it comes from factory-farm (battery) chickens and turkeys, or factory-farm (feedlot) cows, hogs, or sheep, meat marketed in the United States tends to come from overcrowded animals who are constantly exposed to infectious diseases. If it's pink...well...I might give it to a dog, but some of my dog-owning friends would object vigorously.

No comments:

Post a Comment