Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Shut Up and Sing, Stevie Wonder

From the end of a Washington Post article in which Attorney General Eric Holder, whom Tea Parties across the nation have hated for years anyway, argues that law-abiding citizens should not have a right to defend even their own lives (much less their homes or families) if they might hurt some poor dear innocent...er uh [bathroom break indicated]...

"
Holder’s remarks about “Stand Your Ground” come two days after singer Stevie Wonder announced plans to boycott states that have such laws on the books.

“I decided today that until the Stand Your Ground law is abolished in Florida, I will never perform there again,” Wonder said onstage at a concert in Quebec City. “As a matter of fact, wherever I find that law exists, I will not perform in that state or in that part of the world.”
"

Fine with me. Stevie Wonder has reached retirement age already. If you're wondering why the title of this post sounds disrespectful to my elders...well, for one thing, when they're talking like complete idiots I don't have a great deal of respect for my elders. Pity, not respect. (This in spite of the fact that, if Stevie Wonder were performing in my part of Virginia, and some deranged terrorist charged toward the stage waving a loaded pistol, and I saw a good opportunity to save Stevie Wonder by whacking the terrorist with my husband's lead-reinforced walking cane, I would assault that terrorist with that deadly weapon and throw myself on the mercy of the courts. I'd do as much for any other blind person but I expect the courts would be more merciful after listening to a recording of "Isn't She Lovely.") But this particular bit of rudeness is an allusion to Laura Ingraham's book, Shut Up and Sing.

No comments:

Post a Comment