Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Some Books I've Not Displayed as of September 6, 2017

(Support this web site: 

Y'know...all these reviews of books I have for sale have been of the discards from my library. A handful of the keepers, anyone? I've planned for a long time to write more raves and fewer thoughtful explanations of "Why This Book Is Likely to Appeal to Someone Else More Than It Does to Me." It's just that, for many years before I went online, I've always had a hundred or more discards waiting to be sold, and since those are what I've taken to market they've seemed to need reviewing first. Here's the first of a feature I'd like to repeat in the future: ten randomly chosen titles I am (for the moment) keeping...but, either online or in real life, I can get copies from Amazon if you want them. Newer editions may be both cheaper and in better condition, so if you don't absolutely insist on an older edition you're likely to get a new one.

Alphabetically by authors/publishers...here's a mad mix created when books were shoved helter-skelter into boxes by size, then listed as they were unpacked. These books have nothing in common except that my copies are approximately the same length and width.


The first edition can be bought as A Fair Trade Book; there's an updated edition at the author's web site: www.mariechapian.com .


(Yes, what I have is the 1901 edition. Newer editions are cheaper.)

(Why is Amazon not linking properly to "The Hymnal of the Protestant Episcopalian Church" when it has a page for it?)




















New editions of Mama's Bank Account are cheaper, but old ones are still easy to find; this one was a bestseller in its day.


Not the edition I have, at all...I bought the Lais in French. I'm not finding that on Amazon, although a page may exist there. What I have is a vintage textbook, and won't be cheap.


I'm not seeing the edition of Keats I have on Amazon, either. This is the edition I'd like to have.


What I have is the first hardcover edition, albeit a library discard. Amazon has a page for the first edition but no picture. The classic illustrations by Erik Blegvad look quite different from this cover picture. 


What I have is a paperback edition of Marlowe's Complete Plays and Poems, for which, again, Amazon has a page but no picture.


A Fair Trade Book. Yes, children's books can be ordered with a doll. No, I can't guarantee a doll with roller skates.


A Fair Trade Book; author's web site: www.intouch.org . Also available in the original English...but Amazon refuses to show which, of Stanley's books about peace and forgiveness, came out as La Paz del perdon. I'm guessing it might be Freedom through Forgiveness, which is unfortunate, because I'm also guessing that what Stanley called forgiveness is what I'd call pardon.

No comments:

Post a Comment