Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Offsite Links, Part 2 (Extensive Updates)

Grandma Bonnie's Allergy-Ease Foods (Veggie Burgers) are no longer being made and sold. Here's a current link you can use to find other Tennessee products:

https://agriculture.tn.gov/Marketing.asp?QSTRING=MKT

Since I'm in Virginia, most of these sites aren't "local" for me, but I did once write an AC article saying that every state should have or develop a page similar to this one.

A Canadian reader posted a comment like, "Thanks, I'm Canadian as you know," which may reflect a real difference between the two countries.

I doubt very much that if my article had mentioned only Virginia and Tennessee, and had then been read by somebody in Pennsylvania, the Pennsylvania reader would have thought twice about checking and posting any applicable links with a comment like "And in Pennsylvania we have..."

For future reference: (1) I like comments; and (2) I think it may be part of U.S. culture (at least for my generation) that people are expected to speak up for themselves in this kind of situation. If I were planning a trip to some place far from home I'd search for links there; publicizing and writing about links in Montreal seems to me like something a Montreal writer is supposed to be able to do ever so much better than I could. I trace it back to the 1960s, when Caucasian writers who had published pro-civil-rights work were politely told that ethnic-minority writers preferred to write about their own groups' issues.

When this post was published on the Weebly, readers could still order Veggie Burgers there. That's no longer the case. At last report, GBP was still making Veggie Burgers, Rice Biscuit Bread, Taco Soup, and other gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan treats, in her own home, for friends.

The Guilt-Free Gourmet is the cookbook from which GBP tweaked her own recipes for Veggie Burgers. Several vegan loaf recipes appear in the book. Happy tweaking! To buy it here, send shipping information to https://www.paypal.me/PriscillaKingUS/26 .

No comments:

Post a Comment