Thursday, September 15, 2011

Earn Perks: Nominate Books for the Bookstore

Following another tip from the writer known to real book publishers as Elizabeth Barrette...

http://ysabetwordsmith.livejournal.com/1891341.html

here's a reward for readers and buyers: When you buy one of these books, you earn the right to nominate a book--any out-of-print book by a living writer--that will be reviewed and distributed via the Bookstore.

Needless to say, in case EB's other e-fans follow the link over here, this is a way to get any "alternative" book of your preference into the Bookstore.

I don't review or recommend every book I've read. I do recommend some books by people who are known for disagreeing with my points of view, if they have high factual value or even comic appeal (e.g. books by post-Catholic lesbian Mary Daly, which have both).

An example of a book that I read, myself, and decided I couldn't recommend to anybody, would be W.P. Blatty's The Exorcist. People my age didn't have to have read the book or watched the movie to anticipate every twist of the plot, and my decision was not about the question of whether the priest's self-sacrifice represented a triumph for evil or a triumph for human love. It was about the medical details: in real life I don't believe any kind of self-sacrifice could save the brain of a child given that much of those drugs, and don't believe that aspect of the book was responsibly written.

An example of a book that I've not displayed for sale in real life, but would love to distribute via the bookstore, would be just about anything by Wendell Berry, Suzette Haden Elgin (ozarque.livejournal.com), or Meg Swansen (http://schoolhousepress.com/), or any number of other writers whose books I've actually collected but am not ready to resell...unless, of course, youall make it possible for me to buy additional copies of their books!

Then there are the books EB, or Ysabet Wordsmith, and I have been discussing this week...books for teenagers that contain explicitly "alternative" sexual characters and scenes. This is not a concept I can relate to or recommend; as a teenager I wanted consistent help and encouragement to practice abstinence, even from erotic fantasies while I was trying to keep busy and keep my mind off them, and as an aunt I'd like to provide that to my niece and nephews. But if you happen to want to market that book or some other kind of book I don't stock--maybe a book I wouldn't be qualified to review, like a scholarly book about chemistry or economics--by buying something I've put up for sale you earn the right to contribute a guest post about a book of your choice. It will be clearly identified as a guest post about a book that's not been reviewed, but can be sold for the benefit of the author, by Priscilla King.

So, please keep checking here as I add titles, please check priscillascatsanctuary.weebly.com for titles listed there (and apparently functional Paypal one-click-to-purchase buttons), buy anything you like, and you can add a book to the collection.

(Note: It can take me up to two weeks to receive e-mail.)

No comments:

Post a Comment