Thursday, September 1, 2011

Phenology for 9/1/11

Me: Recovering from the sort of minor health problem that would've become major if I'd tried to walk seven miles to the computer center.

Weather: Sunny and cool. Feels like September. I'm pleased.

Birds: Lots of crows, and a few more small flocks of warblers.

Butterflies: More Tiger Swallowtails and Spring Azures. I've not seen a Monarch all year...it's about time for them.

Moths: This year I've seen only the caterpillars, but Anisota senatoria and/or peigleri live in the woods near the Cat Sanctuary. (I learned that these were two distinct species, years ago; now it seems scientists are debating whether to lump them back into one species.) Large, but harmless. I've never seen the male adult moth; only the female. Pictures of them and their biological "relatives" here:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/321

No comments:

Post a Comment