Tuesday, September 11, 2012

A New Lemony Snicket Book, and More

Kentucky librarian Emily Harmon shares a list of popular children's series in which new books have been released:

http://voices.yahoo.com/get-kids-ready-fall-reading-these-exciting-11752658.html?cat=25

Kids have been waiting so long for new books in the Lemony Snicket (Series of Unfortunate Events) and Captain Underpants series that many of the original fans of this series may feel they've outgrown them. Personally I'd challenge that. I think you have to be very old and sick indeed to be too old for Lemony Snicket, although, if you want to explore a grimmer aspect of Daniel Handler's mind, he has written a couple of adult books with murders and only an occasional chuckle.

On the other hand, the "dignified, mature" sort of eight-year-old might feel too old for Captain Underpants. Well, when I was eight I'm pretty sure I would have felt that way. Luckily Dav Pilkey started this series when I was over age thirty and felt secure enough in my adult status to enjoy reading profoundly goofy, cartoon-enhanced books as long as they were for students and in Spanish. Pilkey writes them in English, but translations are available...and recommended. (Pre-order El Capitan Calzoncillos y el terrorifico retorno de Cacapipi here, or, if new to the series, use these links to begin at the beginning in either English or Spanish.)

Then there's Jeff Kinney's Wimpy Kid books...I have to admit I've not read these, and the nephews haven't sent any reviews. That's a hint, Nephews.

No comments:

Post a Comment