Monday, October 15, 2012

Should Thompson Apologize for This?

Tommy Thompson, who is campaigning for the U.S. Senate in Wisconsin, apologized for his son Jason's joke about raising funds to "send Obama back to Chicago--or Kenya."

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/send-him-back-to-chicago-or-kenya-campaign-for-wis-candidate-for-u-s-senate-apologizes-for-sons-obama-joke/

How bad is that? Let's just say that if I'd said it, being a Southerner and having a slightly different rhythm, I would probably have said something like "Let's send our President back to Chicago...or Hawaii...or Kenya, or Indonesia, or wherever he calls his home these days."

Elitist? Maybe. I know where I'm from. I know where my roots are. I count this as a major advantage in life, and I'm glad, proud, and grateful to have had it. So maybe I do feel a tiny bit superior to our very cosmopolitan and multiethnic President. With all the advantages that man has had in life, can he actually begrudge me, or Jason Thompson, a little gloating over one advantage we've had?

No comments:

Post a Comment