Payment Information Page

Thursday, July 30, 2026

Meet the Blog Roll: Cantos y Oraciones

Did I just forget about the "Meet the Blog Roll" series? I did not! I did, however, come to a blog that I've followed for a long time, that was going through one of several transitions. 

CantosYOraciones.blogspot.com is published in Spanish. Google will translate it if you give it a chance.

So far as we know I have no Spanish ancestry. My parents used to like Southern California, though; they wished they spoke Spanish and wanted their children to learn Spanish. Allowing children to grow up bilingual was the cutting-edge trend of the moment. None of us really became bilingual, but we had friends and relatives who were. My brother, natural sister, and adoptive brother could tell someone who spoke only Spanish that my adoptive sister and I speak Spanish better than they do. Though we speak it slowly, with accents. 

I think trying to have multiple official languages is a mess and the US government shouldn't go there, but I also think all good North Americans should at least be able to read all three of our European-origin languages, and should at least try to learn one indigenous language. If you have no indigenous ancestors, learn what people who were indigenous to your part of the continent spoke. 

Is learning foreign languages in school a mere bourgeois affectation? By no means. You never know whom you may be able to help by knowing even one isolated word of someone else's language. Three languages seems to be the number people can remember how to speak fluently at one time--if they start using a fourth language, they start to forget one of the first three. You might think that French and Spanish are similar enough to English that the brain could lump them together and have room left over for Chinese or Xhosa, but no. Still, any language learning we can manage to do is good.

Languages that people don't use, they tend to lose. I try to take every opportunity to read anything in Spanish. 

Cantos y Oraciones has gone through many changes over the years. It has never been a personal blog; it seems to have been maintained by different people, each of whom posted a different collection of Christian songs, prayers, Bible passages, and devotional messages. Gaps between each blogger's term of service have sometimes gone on for months. Nevertheless, this Blogspot has consistently delivered a Christian message in Spanish for more than fifteen years.

It has qualified for Google Ads, which has been a contributing factor in my not trying to get Google Ads on this site. I think Google is too lenient in allowing ads to become intrusive. Google Ads are guaranteed not to do permanent harm to computers, but they can be annoying and leave cookies behind them. 

Nevertheless, I've appreciated this blog's modesty and focus on its Christian message for more than a decade now. 

This post has been a favorite with readers since it first appeared...


I don't think my posting a snarky song that fits the same tune helped promote the blog very much, but I was one of the first bloggers who linked to this post...

Well. The proper words that you might sing in church begin:

Bienaventurados son los de limpio corazon,
que no aman el tesoro de aqui;
de tranquilidad y paz gozan cada dia mas,
y del cielo el gozo tienen ya en si.
Oh, cantemos aleluya!
Si, de todo corazon;
por amor al Salvador, a su nombre dad loor,
y por siempre cantaremos de su amor.

The rest of the words are at the post linked above.

The snarky words are about a corrupt preacher:

"Bienaventurados son los de limpio corazon,
que no aman el tesoro de aqui."
Con ternura y con amor, dando gracias al Senor,
traen lo que tienen y me dan a mi.
Con amor y alegria
me dan todo que han de bien,
y por compartir la fe con los que conocen, me
traen lo que sus amigos han tambien!

Some once popular posts have gone missing from this blog, but some more favorite cantos that are still available include




The current posts at this blog seem to be some person's spiritual thoughts, not illuminated by Bible texts, but this is only one of Cantos y Oraciones' many phases. Taken as a whole this web site is a rich source of material for Christian reflection. 

No comments:

Post a Comment