Friday, February 12, 2021

Bad Poetry: If I Had Known

If I had known
that despite the baby face
and still blonde hair
long before long hair came back into fashion
she'd reached age thirty
a few months ahead of me
and spoke to others as juniors because
that was how people usually spoke to her,
friendship might have
grown faster
in the first months.
In the long run it made no difference.
Her Hebrew name was Zahara
and she was, indeed, gold.

This was prompted by a prompt that appeared at the Poets and Storytellers United Blogspot during my month of Internet outage, which I think (hope) is finally over. It's a memorial tribute to the late writer, Zahara Joan Heckscher, one of the Leftmost people I've ever known and one of the dearest friends.


3 comments:

  1. I'm glad it made no difference in the long run – as you surely are too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely. Thank you for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sometimes life is cruel but at least you have known her as a good friend.

    ReplyDelete