Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Bad Poetry: Blog a Verse

I owe somebody some more blog posts. They've been written, and here is one of them. At this site, "Bad Poetry" sometimes refers to the classic Petras collection, but more often refers to the verse writing of Priscilla King: I have no idea how good or bad it may be, or which current poetry will one day be considered major or minor or worthless, but I know for sure my poems aren't pretentious. Labelling them all "Bad," in advance, is a way of detaching my ego from whatever people may think of them.

So here comes the poem prompted by this week's O Bheal challenge. (I always enjoy seeing what different people make of similar prompts.) Here, to explain about the challenge, is the link to the O Bheal site: 


Here are this week's words:

darken   spiral   build   number   social

Last week’s O Bhéal words dragged out of my subconscious mind a sort of remake of a children’s story. This week’s words sang to me of the here-and-now.

Blog a Verse

School-bells! Jingle-bells! Bloggers, hearken!
Winter nears as mornings darken!
Orders! Orders! Get them filled!
Blogging must our business build!

Page view counts should grow and spiral!
How to make our content viral?
Orders! Orders! Get them filled!
Blogging must our business build!

Hillsides blaze red, fade to umber:
Time to grow our readers’ number!
Orders! Orders! Get them filled!
Blogging must our business build!

Social media’s not just chatter!
Views, likes, orders—these things matter!
Orders! Orders! Get them filled!
Blogging must our business build!


http://www.paypal.me/PriscillaKingUS/21
 If I depended on book orders through this web site for a living, I wouldn't be alive...but I'm pleased by recent developments. Because of online bookstores, including the vast polluted Amazon.com river into which most of us dip, publishers are doing less for writers in some ways, but offering them better deals in other ways. When it's still possible to buy vintage books as new books, and the writers are still living, the new editions is what we'll sell. Help us encourage those writers! Books are brain-children and deserve a chance to support their authors into old age.

No comments:

Post a Comment