Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Dear Wal-Mart...

Dear Wal-Mart,

On the way home from work I met Jane Doe, who had to go to Wal-Mart anyway, so I rode along. Each of us went into the store and bought a few things. On the way out, Jane Doe asked, joking, “Did you have a good time?”

It occurred to me that your company headquarters needs to know exactly what sort of time I had.

I am a celiac, unlike the hordes of non-celiacs who suddenly discovered, about ten years ago, that they too felt better when they “went gluten-free.” But only for a short time.

I grew up feeling draggy and sluggish all the time, with no resistance to infections. When I developed "celiac sprue" at thirty, I felt free to marry an older man, being convinced I had less time to live than he had. Though I felt better immediately after going gluten-free, only around age thirty-nine did I start to believe I’d ever reach age forty.

However, after going gluten-free, I became a healthy person. My example convinced relatives that they too could become healthy people. Mother became active in a celiac support group. It seemed strange that the incidence of celiac disease in our neighborhood was so much higher than it was in Ireland, but it’s fairly easy to eat a healthy diet without wheat, rye, or barley. For about fifteen years we all enjoyed normal health, which no celiac ever takes for granted.

Then, in 2014, I started having celiac reactions to corn. Then to rice. Then to all sorts of things that didn’t even contain grain. I’ve had celiac reactions to beans, to potatoes, to tomatoes, to coffee, to strawberries, even to orange juice, during the last few years.

Celiacs network on the Internet these days. I learned that celiac reactions to corn and rice didn’t mean that we’d become unable to digest natural corn or rice, but that corn and rice were being genetically modified to make them more like wheat. I learned that, because “gluten-free food” often contained GMO alternative grain, “gluten-free” pastries were not only likely to taste unexciting but also likely to make me sick. By 2015 food producers were assuring us that GMO rice was not being used in the United States, but that any and all food these days was likely to contain “pesticide residues.”

Aha! From that point, it wasn’t hard to identify a specific “pesticide” that had always been known to trigger celiac reactions—namely, glyphosate, the main ingredient in “Roundup” and some other “herbicides.”

These products are not merely “herbicides.” They do not kill only plants. You can tell when someone has sprayed “Roundup” in his garden by the dead birds, dead insects, sick cats and dogs, and conspicuously sick humans in the vicinity. 

Make no mistake: Glyphosate in any significant amount is toxic to all living creatures. Toxicity increases with exposure. However, statistical studies have consistently failed to prove a correlation between glyphosate exposure and one specific kind of reaction, because, across species, individual reactions vary, depending partly on the individuals’ genetic heritage. 

(Here is the post where I linked to about a dozen very formal and heavily vetted statistical studies; if the links don't work for you, e-mail me for copies of the PDFs.


True celiac disease is produced by a “strong form” of a genetic pattern that’s rare in Ireland and virtually unknown anywhere else. A “weak form” of the celiac pattern is fairly common in western Europe but rare elsewhere. People who feel better when they “go gluten-free” are usually in this group of White people who thrived on a wheat-based diet before glyphosate started to build up in the environment. Their sensitivity to natural wheat, itself, is mild but their sensitivity to glyphosate-poisoned wheat can be disabling.

Some humans who have been directly exposed to glyphosate claim that the worst effect they noticed was a bitter taste. (That’s debatable, because some people have mental and emotional reactions, obvious to others, that they are not able to recognize in themselves...mood swings, narcolepsy, vertigo, anxiety attacks, rage attacks, learning disorders...There’s a strong correlation between glyphosate exposure and autism.)

Other people who have been directly exposed to glyphosate have been hospitalized with intense, immediate reactions that included anaphylactic shock, skin damage, bleeding, loss of consciousness, and paralysis. One patient was paralyzed for 39 days. Across species, genes determine whether humans or animals initially react to glyphosate with no noticeable reaction (a substantial minority in all species studied), immune reactions like hayfever, enteric reactions like diarrhea, kidney reactions like narcolepsy, or death. Mental/emotional reactions are easily identified only in humans, but pet lovers have seen “the look on Fluffy’s face” too.

People who use glyphosate find it very convenient to be able to produce more grain with less weeding and cultivating. They can be unreasonable even when it’s pointed out to them that they are the ones who “sleep” (black out) all day after spraying the garden, or have disabling vertigo or uncontrollable diarrhea or setbacks in physical therapy. They want to believe that they are “older” than they were the day before, or that, since a lot of people had hayfever on the day when this poison was sprayed, “a cold is going around,” or that they’re “allergic to” some sort of flower that had been blooming all week with no effect on them.

We’re talking about people who would never dream of recklessly endangering their neighbors by letting a four-year-old drive a car, or yelling “Fire” in a crowded theatre. Because they are not the kind of people who recklessly endanger others in the usual ways, they don’t want to admit that they are recklessly endangering their neighbors by spraying “pesticides.”

We’ve allowed manufacturers, notably Monsanto, to defend the use of this poison on the sole grounds that, although it causes painful reactions in a majority of living creatures of any species, in all species studied those reactions vary. In the case of glyphosate, appealing to statistical studies of specific disease conditions is like arguing that, if a man shoots one victim, strangles another, stabs another in the back, and cuts another’s head off, he’s not a serial murderer.

What’s happened since 2014 is that the Monsanto Corporation urged farmers to explore new uses for their “safe” product, “Roundup,” which had not been linked to any consistent statistical increase in any single specific reaction. They could use glyphosate to “ripen” crops in the field, or even to “preserve” crops before trucking them to market—even crops like tomatoes, strawberries, and apples, which are normally not even peeled before they are eaten. As a result most of the plant-based food in the U.S. food supply is tainted with enough glyphosate to induce celiac sprue in anyone who has the celiac gene.

As a result, for me, pushing a shopping cart through Wal-Mart involves a thought process like this one:

“Start at the back wall of the grocery section, with beverages. How ridiculous is it that because high-fructose corn syrup is so denatured by extensive processing, soda pop doesn’t make me sick? Ridiculous but true. I like the taste of real orange juice, and I love strawberries, but until we get glyphosate out of the food supply I have to make do with soda pop.

Snack aisle. Since complaining about one batch of Planters peanuts in 2017 I’ve had no further trouble with subsequent batches, but of course, as long as Planters’ parent company won’t even label the tainted and/or genetically modified products, I have to be careful about peanuts. Planters said nothing about other nut and seed products. I like sunflower seeds, almonds, cashews, and pumpkin seeds, but I don’t dare try those until we get glyphosate banned.

Dairy section. Yuck. Glyphosate builds up in milk faster than it does in meat, and at my age I probably don’t digest milk efficiently in any case. Cheese, I never have been able to digest. Eggs are good in baked dishes but I’ve never liked them all by themselves.

Baking supplies. Don’t even go there any more. I used to love to bake. Baking was a bonding activity I shared with my mother, who is not ‘old’ now, being only 83, but who is unlikely to recover from the obviously glyphosate-related resurgence of her celiac symptoms since age 80. Gluten-free baking was a new adventure in a mutual hobby. Probably we’ll never do it again.

Cereals. Forget about it. The companies have worked hard to make Chex and Cheerios gluten-free, but as long as they’re in denial about glyphosate being more harmful to more cereal eaters than gluten is, I might as well eat ‘D-Con, the Exterminator in a Box’ as eat Chex or Cheerios. I used to like Chex and Cheerios.

Canned fruit and vegetables. Don’t go there any more. About the only brand that still seems to be safe, for now, is that Mexican brand of canned beans that’s cheaper at the Dollar Store. Of course, being Mexican, they’re probably loaded with all sorts of other toxins and carcinogens that affect me more slowly anyway. I am so much luckier than most Irish-American celiacs because, when I crave applesauce or pineapples, at least I can go out and look for wild persimmons.

Rice and beans. So many flavors used to work for me, and I miss them, but I can’t use them. Other flavors are new and I’d like to try them, but I don’t dare. Since I wrote to the company Zatarain’s has been careful about using un-poisoned rice...but no beans, and no tomatoes.

Pasta and sauce. Forget about it. They have all those gluten-free pastas these days, and all of them are probably poisonous to me. In any case, if the rice-based pasta were safe, the tomato sauce wouldn’t be, any more.

Frozen foods. Mostly tainted. Frozen veg used to be mostly safe but are now mostly poisoned. Ice cream, likewise.

Meat cooler. Stock up on meat. I don’t actually crave meat as often as the cats do, although sharing meat with the cats is a bonding experience for them. However, meat,  Planters peanuts, Zatarain’s rice, M&M’s, and soda pop are just about the only things in this super-size 24-7 grocery store I can eat now. At least I can eat the unsprayed raw ‘weeds’ like fresh dandelions out of my garden at home. Many cannot.

Produce. Try to rush around the whole produce section, but a whiff of fresh tomatoes grabs at my memories. I loved tomatoes. I like cucumbers. I like onions and bell peppers and sweetpotatoes and broccoli and spinach, raw spinach right out of the bag like chips, and leaf lettuce and radishes and jicama and corn on the cob and turnips. I miss vegetables so much right now, I could positively relish zucchini! But no, no, no, no vegetables unless I know for sure that the farmer didn’t spray poison on them right before sending them to the store.

That will bring us to the checkout counter, and if I can’t resist the M&M’s in the checkout line, how could I resist them when there’s so little else in this store that I dare to eat, and I can’t really trust even what I’ve bought? Not one thing in this grocery cart can be considered health food, but everything else in this store is positively poisonous.”

I went to Wal-Mart to get a week’s groceries. In 2013 that would have meant spending about $50 and taking home sacks of fruit and veg as well as cheap, heavily processed chicken, peanuts, rice, plus candy and soda pop. Today I brought in $90, but spent less than $15 for one bag of junkfood. If I look more than five years older than I did in 2013, I wonder why that might be...Not!

You can do so much better than this, Wal-Mart. Big corporations have a lot of power to do good as well as harm. Wal-Mart is such a large share of the market that Wal-Mart could singlehandedly restore food sanity to the United States with one easy step:

REQUIRE FOOD TO BE “THREE-GEE-FREE.”

That would be gluten-free and GMO-free and glyphosate-free. (Food naturally made from wheat, like flour and sandwich bread, doesn’t have to be gluten-free since celiacs know it’s wheat-based and can avoid it, and since natural wheat gluten is a good source of healthy protein for most of humankind.) Stock natural wheat products on a separate shelf from corn and rice products. You could even stock GMO products provided that the farmers and manufacturers were proud to label them, as it might be “Made with BT corn, which is glyphosate-free and is chemically more like a disease germ than like wheat.” (BT corn made some people sick, but not nearly as many as glyphosate-marinated E. Coli corn.) Let farmers know that, if any trace of glyphosate is detected in food products, they’ll never sell food to Wal-Mart again.

Require farmers to accept the fact that glyphosate is more toxic to more people than either GMO foods, as such, or natural wheat gluten.

By purging glyphosate-tainted food from its shelves, Wal-Mart could force other stores to stop selling glyphosate-tainted food, as the word would get around...

“Food Lion had a better price on tomato sauce last week, but when I used their tomato sauce one child threw up, the other child misbehaved at school, my husband yelled at me, and I had a migraine. I’ll stick with Wal-Mart’s tomato sauce.”

“I told the housekeeper I’d rather support the local supermarket, but I will admit I’ve felt better since she’s been buying groceries at Wal-Mart.”

Of course nobody’s saying that now. Actually I’ve had more celiac reactions to gluten-free food Wal-Mart sells than to gluten-free food Price-Less sells. (Food Lion is the worst. Since about 2014, if I’ve bought food at Food Lion and not had a celiac reaction, that’s been because a salmonella reaction purged it out of my system first.) But people could be saying that food they bought from Wal-Mart was healthier than food, even from the same brands, they bought from other stores, if Wal-Mart would go Three-Gee-Free.

I’ve noticed a funny thing, Wal-Mart, about the food items that have been discontinued for lack of sales in recent years. I have tried a few new food products, and the ones that haven’t survived on the market have been the ones that made me sick. I've seen even Necco Wafers, a staple junkfood from the 1860s, vanish from Dollar Stores--because they're made mostly of sugar and cornstarch, and these days, most sugar and cornstarch contain enough glyphosate to make me sick. Most people don’t have an obvious immediate reaction to food with high levels of glyphosate in it, and don’t recognize it as having made them ill if they even realize they were ill...but they don’t like the products and don’t buy more of them.

If you want to help people be healthier, Wal-Mart, forget about obviously greed-driven ideas like “We’ll help people drink less soda pop by doubling the prices on the advertised brands, switching from sturdy 24-ounce bottles or stubby little 16-ounce bottles to terribly cute tall-and-skinny 16.9-ounce bottles that tip over so easily people won’t allow them in their houses, and maintaining a reasonable price only on our in-house brands.” We all understand why Wal-Mart, Coca-Cola, and Pepsi-Cola want to raise the price of a bottle of Coke or Pepsi, and we all know that that has nothing to do with our health. Inflating prices on soda pop or on anything else does not promote the perception that Wal-Mart's owners care about people's health.

Going glyphosate-free would actually improve people’s health, and attract them to Wal-Mart in a healthy way that would make people like Wal-Mart.

Farmers will wail and howl, and food processors will probably lie on the floor kicking and hold their breath till they turn blue, when told they need to burn their poisoned “food” now...but you could allow them to ease back into the market next year by grandfathering in food containing substantially decreased traces of accurately labelled, naturally decomposing glyphosate residues, on condition that they pledged to stop using any kind of "cides" on or near any food crop, ever again.

It’d be a total win-win for Wal-Mart just to let Kraft and Nestle turn blue, work with farmers, and send the huge agro-businesses a clear message: They’re going to have to get on board, or let smaller farmers leave them behind. They cannot be allowed to continue recklessly endangering people’s lives.


https://www.paypal.me/PriscillaKingUS/25
 

No comments:

Post a Comment