Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Bad Poetry: Mystical Love Sonnet

It's an exercise in verse form, but it wasn't an assignment; it popped into my mind one morning when I woke up full of adolescent rapturous joy, age eighteen or nineteen. I still wake up cheerful, most days, but have generally outgrown poems like this one.

"Thee" is, of course, God, and choosing between "-s" and "-eth" verb endings to fit the line was typical of the minor Renaissance poets I'd been reading.

O are there words to sing my love of Thee?
I covet Thee as flowers covet rain,
Which day by day their living doth sustain;
Or as they covet sun, so I do Thee,
Which calleth them to bloom by its warm light.
I cherish Thee as rrees may do that wind
Which only freeth them form roots that bind.
I wait Thee as the owl awaits the night,
Its dark-lit eyes being blind to common day.
I rise to seek Thee ere the day's begun,
And follow Thee throughout till it is done.
I love Thee as the traveller loves the way.
I need Thee as the robins need to sing.
I wait Thee as the land awaits the spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment