Thursday, April 8, 2021

Beloved Companion Loretta

Here's another free-verse thingie in response to a prompt at Poets and Storytellers United, where other people are undoubtedly posting better animal stories...When my brother and I were growing up, we had a dog of our own for a few months, boarded a pony, and bonded with other animals, but our main pets were bantam chickens. 

I always write about cats. Today 
I want to be different and remember the hens,
who, like my social cats, were most interesting
in their relationships with one another. 
Loretta was my last pet hen, and closest,
the one who used to mimic the sound of speech
and briefly managed to say the word "freebie." 
Loretta knew her male kin, and ignored them.
Also ignored full-sized chickens, male or female,
as being a different species she disliked.
(Bantams are miniature chickens. Loretta's body
was a perfect fit in the palm of my hand.)
At intervals she met a bantam rooster
from outside her own family, and became
flirtatious, even eager. Handicapped
by black-rose instead of bright red on her face,
she called and coaxed and showed no shame.
In spring, outdoors, in a family, she might have laid
eight or ten eggs a year; never very many,
and she never tried to raise a brood of her own.
Every feather she ever had was black.
We joked that they'd mistake her for a crow
if she didn't insist, in every way, she was a hen.
In fact her whole breed was developed for a look
produced by low levels of estrogen, low fertility.
When bantam roosters were not in the neighborhood
she tried to take the social role of one
by crowing in the morning and flirting with hens.
But she knew friendship, loyalty, generosity
with Silver, Sandy, Blanca, and with me.
Animals bond by sharing food. Loretta
would eat off my plate any time she could
and show me yummy pebbles, leaves, or beetles.
As a fledgling she used to snuggle in my pocket;
when cold or scared she'd fly on to my shoulder
but, like most birds, preferred not to be held.
The family kept her while I was at school,
isolated, to prevent lesbianism, and because
they didn't want to keep another whole flock.
Nobody cared about trained chicken shows
after my brother died. So Loretta was
often without companions, but she never
complained in any noticeable way; only
trilled happily when we could be outside together.
Most hens live three or four years. She lived six.
She'd become a burden on my young womanhood
but still I missed her, after her long life.

12 comments:

  1. She sounds like a wonderful friend. I used to think chooks were stupid creatures, but then an online friend documented getting to know all of hers and I realised they are not only intelligent and affectionate but have highly individual personalities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some, yes. Factory farms breed for stupidity. Bantam fanciers bred for quirkiness, sometimes arguably-dysfunctional quirks.

      Delete
  2. How I loved reading about Loretta. You made me see her so clearly. What a character she was. It occurs to me to tell you that one of the best movies I have seen recently, Penguin Bloom, might interest you. True story of a family in Australia, on the beach, whose mother suffers a serious accident - an orphaned magpie gets rescued by the family and this extremely intelligent little bird impacts the whole family. It is truly amazing to see what that bird could do. Even more amazing that this was an actor bird, trained to do what the original bird once did. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like fun to watch with The Nephews; thanks for telling me.

      Delete
  3. Loretta sounds great! When I lived in New Mexico between the ages of 4 and 10, my family kept chickens. Many of the roosters ended up being food. The hens were there to lay eggs. One of my favorite hens was a little rock Cornish game hen named Arabella. Arabella wasn't quite up to snuff as hens go. She never laid an egg and she was kind of ditzy. But I loved her dearly.
    We had a big, gentle white rooster named Peter who was, unfortunately, savagely mauled by a dog that got into the coop. My father ended up shooting him because there was nothing that we could do for him. We buried him in the back yard.
    There was also Susan, a beautiful black hen. I wish I could remember the names of some of the others but it was a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a pair of Rock Cornish Game chickens who seemed ditzy, too, but lovable. I wonder if that's another breed trait?

      Delete
  4. We had chickens when I was a child....but hundreds of them...certainly too many to grow attached to any one! My mother had a bantam rooster who loved to chase me and flog my ankles when I came home from school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some do become obnoxious. My parents wouldn't have kept a chicken that "attacked" children; some neighbors did.

      Delete
  5. Love the name Loretta for this special hen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...she was coal-black all over, and her mother was called Coalie. Somehow it seems chickens put up with such things...

      Delete
  6. Loretta is such a cool name for a pet hen, and she was so intelligent! I love hens, my neighbours have some, and one of them took a liking to my garden; I had to keep returning her. I love her personality, especially in the lines:
    ‘At intervals she met a bantam rooster
    from outside her own family, and became
    flirtatious, even eager’
    and
    ‘…oretta
    would eat off my plate any time she could
    and show me yummy pebbles, leaves, or beetles.’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was a dear, dear bird...the only hen I ever met whose egg-laying cycle seemed to depend on whether or not she had a mate.

      Delete