Monday, April 10, 2023

"I Ground My Eye Into His Fist"

The blogosphere is full of prompts. 
One of them, recently,
invited posts upon the theme
of a "small victory."

To talk of our own victories
can seem immodesty,
so several bloggers chose some other
theme entirely,

and others, trained by years of false
"spirituality,"
tried to present some small defeat
as their "small victory."

In skewering a TV show
with witty parody,
Jean Kerr once had a character
claim such a victory:

"I ground my eye into his fist!
I made him trample me!
I woke up in a hospital!
That was my victory!"

"I was told it's not 'feminine'
to act as logically
and spare myself as many tears
as I do," one tells me,

"so, never mind the evidence
of my anatomy,
I'm not a woman! I accept it!
That's my victory."

"Once more I let a pushy pest
blame per last push on me
and only on the Internet
mentioned a boundary

the pushy pest will not accept
with cordiality,"
another post admits defeat
and calls it victory.

An e-friend writes and writes and writes.
I read selectively
despite the evidence that person
isn't reading me.

Most people say more than they hear.
So life will ever be.
All writers must just persevere,
portray the world we see.

"Before they write their daily posts,
do my e-friends read me?"
is not the question bloggers ask
if they seek sanity.

To write by conversation's rules
of common courtesy
is an approach blog readers find
outrageous vanity;

so when we overcome the urge
to ask what people see
in what we wrote the other day,
is this a victory?

I say a blessing from the Lord 
or personal victory
does not need turning inside out
to show its quality.

Yes, death must conquer all disease!
Is death then victory?
And those grapes growing out of reach?
They sour indeed may be!

I say, at least: I beat the urge
to inactivity
by waking, brushing teeth, maintaining
this blog faithfully;

it's tedious to write about
such tiny victory,
but better than to claim defeat
with equanimity

as if that always was the goal.
(Nobody's fooled, y'see.)
"I failed, but over discontent
I claim the victory"?

If this poem's read as perfect rhyme
it's doggerel, I agree.
If read as "modern" half-rhymes, is it
too close, parody?

"Perfectionism, get thee hence!"
Are half-rhymes victory?
I'd rather press toward the mark
of rationality.

This poem's here to mean. Its content
is the way it be.
Like the rhymes or not, d'you get the point?
Then count that victory.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, death must conquer all disease!
    Is death then victory? - I read this multiple times. The last verse as well. Is it a victory if the reader understands the point of the poem. Yes, but only if that is the purpose of the poet. Just as, if death is the purpose of one's life. Interesting questions, both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting read. Although I might not get the point, victory is a matter of perspective just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tend to dismiss anyone who tried too hard to convert me to accept their definition of femininity. Deciding what these things mean for ourselves is a victory I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank youall for visiting and commenting.

    ReplyDelete