Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Would You Rent Out Your Car...Online?

GM offers to help car owners meet their car payments by offering their cars for rent online. Liz Klimas reports:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/onstar-users-could-earn-600-per-month-by-voluntarily-renting-out-their-cars-will-you/

Should the kind of information that's exchanged between car rental services and car renters be posted on the Internet?

Here's the sequel: If you participate in the online rental program, you're also authorizing GM, government, and who knows what other people to track the movements of your car (even if you drop out of the program). And your car can be disabled by a device in the car behind you:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/cant-just-shut-it-off-anywhere-onstar-stops-stolen-camaro-during-police-chase/

During my aforementioned bachelor years in Arlington I owned vehicles. I didn't drive them. I rented them out to friends. I trusted these friends, although I hadn't known them for long, and they trusted me, and somehow nobody got hurt or sued. But somehow I think I'll pass on the online rental service.

No comments:

Post a Comment