Friday, April 20, 2018

Tim Kaine Against Offshore Drilling

Here, with an official editorial comment below, is the e-mail from U.S. Senator Tim Kaine (D-VA).

"
From Virginia Beach to the Eastern Shore, I've heard from military personnel, local elected officials, local businesses, and community members about their serious concerns about the Trump Administration's proposal to expand offshore drilling. They're worried about how drilling will affect the environment, tourism, and naval activities. A small business owner on the Virginia Beach boardwalk asked me to imagine what a BP-like oil spill would do to summer tourism. I share those concerns. It's not worth the risk.

Watch my video on Facebook to hear about my recent trip to the Eastern Shore to discuss some of the risks >>
I am particularly concerned that allowing offshore drilling in Hampton Roads - home to the largest naval installation in the world - will affect our defense assets and hurt our national security. That's why this week, I called on the Department of Defense to conduct a comprehensive study that assesses the specific challenges that drilling may create for Hampton Roads' military activities. In a letter to Defense Secretary Mattis, I pressed DOD to carefully scrutinize what it would mean for regional military assets. Virginians deserve to know what's at stake.

If you too have concerns about what drilling could mean for Virginia, now is the time to make your voice heard. The Trump Administration exempted Florida from its offshore drilling plan, stating "local voice matters." Let's make our Virginia voices loud and clear on this issue.
Sincerely,
" [that signature graphic: Tim Kaine]

Comment: Virginia is a three-cornered state. It has a Point, a Hump, and a Great Dismal Swamp. My home is in the Point. My work for many years was in and around the Hump. I'm not familiar with the Swamp and wouldn't describe myself or neighbors as a "local voice" on any of (SEVA's?) environmental concerns. Over to Southeasterners.

No comments:

Post a Comment