Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Correspondents' Choice: Books for April

Of the books correspondents recommended in April, these are the ones I've checked out on Amazon and wanted to read, or remembered having read and wanted to reread...

Not that this new study of U.S. history seems to need further promotion...this web site is shamelessly begging readers to use this link to buy a copy, handle it carefully, and send it to us.



A novel about a lesbian couple breaking up...needs to develop into a novel where one of the ex-couple finds out that she has (and probably became tiresome to live with by having) a disabling disease, that she's living in a place where people with disabilities are becoming targets for serial crime, and that she's still smart and tough enough to organize a gang of disabled people who fight back. That I think I might enjoy reading.



Doesn't every bookstore need a public typewriter?



Liz Curtis Higgs, famous for her Bible studies of "bad girls," studies a good girl:



Is it possible for anyone to want to read any more about Trump? I don't, actually--but if I'm going to read anyone's book about Trump, it'd be Laura Ingraham's. Going by the cover I expect to disagree with it more than with any of her previous books, even the misguided germ-phobic zingers in Of Thee I Zing. I've never had the luxury of limiting myself to enjoying only books with which I completely agree. Ingraham's study of attitudes toward Trump in Washington, and other attitudes that seemed to go with them, is her view of some of the same people, places, and times I observed firsthand too; I anticipate a lot of fun reminiscing and seeing where her memories differ from mine. If any Gentle Reader out there wants to send me a copy, I'll post a New Book Review. Use that Amazon giftcard widget at the bottom of the screen, I'll (try to) post the said review on Amazon.



Right behind the rave over Peter Rock's book, below, came this rave over Dennis Prager's Rational Bible (Commentary). Ever since reading the cockaludicrous claim that Elizabeth Cady Stanton had "rewritten the Bible," I've been wary of Bible commentaries that end in "Bible" rather than "Commentary"--even though a good commentary does contain each passage on which the author comments, and if you put the entire series together you get a Bible with a lot of extra words in it. Anyway, Prager promises not only to demonstrate that the book of Exodus is "rational" but to prove that it condemned the transatlantic slave trade practiced in early American history. I'm prepared to agree that it does--Moses' guidelines for the management of slaves in ancient Israel were completely different--but I'm interested in seeing which references he uses.



First in the e-mail this month was the Little Bookstore of Big Stone Gap's new book of choice, the novel behind the movie Leave No Trace:

No comments:

Post a Comment