Thursday, August 13, 2026

Web Log for 8.12.26

At least I found lots of music links...

Health 

No longer news--and I doubt that it ever was news to people with asthma, one of whom I used to be, one of whom I might be again. The underlying disease is caused by chemicals (for me it used to be chlordane). Laughter can trigger an attack more easily than the mechanical stimulants like dust and pollen--although, so long as people are ill with asthma, they may test positive for allergies to dust and pollen and who knows what-all.


Music 

Lynyrd Skynyrd.



Madonna Ceccone.


Blur.


Jon Kahn.


Crooked Still.


Gramatik.


Ludovico Einaudi.


Willow Osborne, intentionally re-creating Earl Scruggs' tune.


Doro.


Alison Krauss.


Bob Dylan. (I personally don't like efforts to make traditional songs copyrightable, like this one.)


Arlo Guthrie.


Liam Clancy.


Duran Duran.


Frederic Chopin.


Avishai Cohen.


Fleetwood Mac.


Neil Young.


Blondie.


Politics, Practical 

No link to something some male writer posted about Wisconsin's election, this morning, because he doesn't deserve one. Men don't get to say that Wisconsin's Candidate Francesca Hong is a mental case, although she is a certified mental case. Men don't get to comment on any woman's mental competence because we all know that when a man says "She's crazy," he means he's guilty. When men talk about mental illness they need to be talking about the serious kind of mental illness that is predominantly a male problem. Meanwhile, Tom Tiffany is running against Hong. Men get to tell us what they like about Candidate Tiffany. 

(But, speaking of mental illness...here's a bit of insight into why Robin Williams handled Parkinson's Disease so much less well than Michael J. Fox did. 


Weather 

By the time you read this you'll know whether tonight, Wednesday night, was an especially great night to go out and look up at the sky, where you are. I can predict that where I am it'll be similar to last night, and most of the nights in the Perseid meteor shower, most of the years of my life. Clouds will gather in the evening and, about the time it gets dark outside, rain will begin to fall. 


(Before posting...Where I was, it was a nice night for watching the lightning flash, out the window. I've known about the Perseid meteors since grade three but I've seen very few of them.)

No comments:

Post a Comment