Mostly off-blog cyberchores, with some music in between. Some real-world chores, also. And of course Serena's little blue-eyed Wonder, whose eyes are already starting to darken to gray, has to show off his new bounces and pounces every evening.
Wonder is at the age where kittens still take a lot of naps, but if they're outdoor kittens you never see them napping. He spends his days playing with the adult cats. All three of them adore him. There may be boundary disputes in a few months; not now. Around dusk Drudge takes up a vigil over the yard. If anything tried to creep up on his little buddy...I don't believe Drudge is anything like as strong as Mac was, but then again I've never seen Drudge fighting mad. Drudge beats up Wonder's father regularly, but that's a game--they've never even nicked each other's ears. I think Drudge knows what he's practicing for, though. Anybody who tried to eat little Wonder would get something to remember.
Males are expendable. A good male sacrifices himself for the young. For some reason I find this thought melancholy; possibly because, to me, Drudge still is young.
Anyway nothing less than a bear, or a rabid dog, is going to interfere with Wonder's nightly dance performances while I'm on the not-a-lawn. The Bad Neighbor avoids witnesses. Bears avoid fires. So I think we're all reasonably safe, given that we're still in this far from safe world.
When it gets dark enough that I can't see Wonder through the flowers, it's bedtime. Wonder seems to understand this, as all his siblings did. He's not above the "just one more drink of water" game, but he knows when it's time to stop playing and bounce into his steel cage for the night. He complains loudly, though, if the door's not open for him to bounce out again at dawn.
Music
Kaleo.
Pink Floyd.
Foreigner.
Eric Whitacre.
R.E.M.
Willie Nelson, who's touring and apparently not even hyping that it's the last tour before he retires. Who needs to retire merely because he's 93 years old? I stand with Willie Nelson. (Only readers over 60 get to say this.)
Tommy James and the Shondells.
Smokey Robinson.
Stevie Nicks.
Bob Dylan.
El Buho.
Ringo Starr.
Tom Petty.
Steve Miller.
Avishai Cohen.
Leonard Cohen.
Boogie Belgique.
Poetry
How old were you when you first read this one? What impression did it make?
Some people have said that, for them, this is where poetry began--a thundering battle poem that's nothing at all like greeting card verse. In the novel (recently reviewed here) If I Were You (Deception), a little boy proves his courage by reciting it to a mad kidnapper (who likes it). I didn't have that experience. I was too young for the poem when I first read it, and for me poetry began with either Millay or Stephen Vincent Benet, I've never been sure which. But Byron's use of sound certainly is effective.
No comments:
Post a Comment