Friday, August 31, 2018

Correspondents' Choice: Book Links for August

I'm behind my online reading list. This is not a complete list of book recommendations that came in August, but it's likely to be the complete list of the ones I made time to read in August...

Multiple recommendations for Kim Brooks's Small Animals:



Sonja Cole, whom I don't know, has a lot of nerve. Her list of women illustrators of children's books didn't mention Trina Schart Hyman, Tasha Tudor, the Petershams, Lois Lenski, or any remotely comparable talents. The books she displays have illustrations signed with female-sounding names, but the illustrations are nothing special, generic, cartoonish. They look like the kind that are not meant to add any information to the story, but just to amuse adults. David Elliott's cheerful twist on a phrase that wasn't meant to be a jolly little nursery tale, but has spawned several, sounds like a fun read even if the illustrations are merely amusing:



Since the title is something I've often said, I'd like to read this book if it's ever printed:

I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist (Foreword by David Limbaugh) by [Geisler, Norman L., Turek, Frank]

From Mudpie's Human:

Click here.



Temple Grandin's Calling All Minds.



First link I received this month came via Paper.li, which shared the link to a messy, non-recommendable website where someone identified only as Erica recommended Lois Lowry's new funny story for middle school readers. I want it. When Lowry is funny she is very, very funny, comparable with Carl Hiaasen or even Dave Barry... If I do it right, this Amazon link will give Erica her due commissions.

Click here to give a commission to Erica. The Amazon link-builder button hovers: Don't I want to build a link that will give a commission to me? Maybe next month. This month, give Erica her due...even though I'm sure she's not the non-literary Erica-in-real-life I know.

If Albert Gallatin had been working for Thomas Jefferson, personally, would TJ have died solvent and emancipated Sally Hemings? Gregory May reviews Gallatin's role in history:



Norb Leahy posted a splendid review of Jordan Peterson's 12 Rules for Life, at http://ntlconsulting.blogspot.com/2018/08/12-rules-for-life.html :



Regnery (the publisher, yes) recommends Robbins' Erasing America:



Short story fanciers...I'm not sure why the Little Bookstore refuses to sell online through Amazon, possibly the immoral credit card racket, but whatever they do is working for them. Right. Order this one from the Little Bookstore, not Amazon.

breath
Here's a link you can follow to the Little Bookstore of Big Stone Gap, online.
Magaly Guerrero recommends Peter Wohlleben's Inner Life of Animals:

No comments:

Post a Comment