Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Happy Post: Book Sale and Bad Poetry

Oh hurray, hurray, hurray, I just sold a book manuscript! This is just the preliminary gloating post, not the book-marketing post. Watch this space for a forthcoming link to where you can buy the book, or booklet. (It's an e-book; prints out to about 20 pages.)

It's a Bible study about change. We look at seven kinds of bad change mentioned in the Bible, seven kinds of good change, and changes that take place in a Christian's life. Older, more literal translations of the Bible in English tend to use words other than "change," like transform and convert and make new, for the ones that take place as part of a Christian life.

I suspect the final sections are weak since I was pushing myself to write them while running a fever, but the church that commissioned the booklet have the opportunity to improve them; it'll be interesting to see how they actually come out.

Meanwhile, there's an interesting poetry challenge here...

http://withrealtoads.blogspot.com/2017/11/get-listed-november-edition.html

...It brought today's phenology to mind, so here's a Bad Phenology Poem, possibly the first of a new genre, genre name copyright by this web site.

November arrives
dressed warmly in layers
sycamore yellow,

box elder pallid,
oak red, orange, and copper,
maples red and green

protesting sudden
frost's last-minute changes to
pre-Christmas splendor;

November's rain can
change to sleet, black ice, crystal
stone at her wan throat.

I suspect Grand Master Basho would say that none of these verses is a Real Haiku. I'm neither Zen nor Japanese, so arguably have no right to attempt Real Haiku; this is just a little experiment in syllabic verse forms. Here's a short, lovable introduction to some classic haiku as they've been translated into English; I'm partial to it because it explains quite a bit about the Japanese language as well as the poems.



(That's so not the colors I'm seeing...if you check out my Twitter stream for today, I retweeted a gorgeous picture of Early November in the Southern Appalachian Mountains, from Georgia but similar to the colors I'm seeing now. I'm tempted to gank the picture, but think the Twit who shared it would deserve payment for it and don't have the money yet.)

No comments:

Post a Comment