Wednesday, May 31, 2023

A Place I'd Like to Visit but Never Have

The Long and Short Reviews blog challenge of the week asks where bloggers have always wanted to visit, but never visited.


Easy peasy. Name a place that is separated from my home in Virginia by a large amount of water. If it's a country, a state, even a large city, it would be a place I've wondered about but never seen, and don't really plan ever to see. There were abundant reasons not to buy airline tickets in 1971. Since I wasn't the one buying the tickets I had let my husband talk me into a trip to Ireland in 2001. Then the airlines started banning knitting needles and peering inside people's shoes--and having reasons to peer at people's shoes--and we agreed all future travel would be done by car or train.

So, was Ireland the place I most wanted to visit? No, it was the place someone was offering us a great deal on airline tickets to visit. All my life I've liked the idea of learning about new places but been less enthusiastic about the actual travel, which is hard on my delicate celiac digestion. 

I like my own country, even my own house, and feel very little desire to leave them. Other places interest me because they're different. I'm not sure that travel for its own sake really does much to educate people, but I do enjoy reading blogs about the places where other people live.

2 comments:

  1. I love to travel, and don't care how I get there just as long as I do. I could imagine though if you aren't a traveler and you don't travel much how stressful that would be especially after 2001.

    The big question is - did you enjoy the time you were there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have got more into travelling within England as I've got older, I admit.

    ReplyDelete