Monday, November 28, 2011

Music Divides Churches

The poll at The Blaze doesn't even list all the options for church policies on music. There are denominations that don't use any music during church services. There are denominations that ban all musical instruments. There are denominations that allow a piano or an organ, but not other instruments, in the sanctuary. Then there are denominations that bring in complete rock bands, with amplifiers and synthesizers...

Personally, I vote thumbs down on electrically amplified music in church. Two reasons: (1) it costs the church more money, and (2) it's invariably too loud for me to enjoy. I'm not saying that people who have electric guitars and all that can't love Jesus too. I'm saying that I don't care for that sound and would be unlikely to go back to a church where I'd heard it.

I think it's bad taste for church members to perform music at a volume that's going to make it harder for people to hear the sermon. Someone will point out that the Psalms direct believers to praise God upon the trumpet, the loud cymbals, and the high-sounding cymbals. Right. But I suspect, in view of the history of ancient Israelite religious practice, that this would have been done during the ritual feast, not immediately before people had to listen to one voice speaking. Listening is hard enough for most of us even when we've not been deafened by a blast of loud music.

I also think that churches can and should support brass bands, jazz bands, rock bands, and whatever other musical forms people may use. Just don't put the loud ones in the sanctuary immediately before the sermon.

Readers can put in their two cents worth, and find out just how far behind the times I am, here:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/worship-wars-is-the-worst-fight-in-your-church-over-the-style-of-music/

No comments:

Post a Comment