Thursday, September 5, 2013

Mark Warner in the Southwest

U.S. Senator Mark Warner toured the southwestern corner of Virginia in time to catch the Bristol NASCAR race, and other attractions:

"
  • The very cool Draper “Merc” in Pulaski County graciously hosted one of our town hall meetings. The audience of residents, business and community leaders was “standing room only,” and I enjoyed the smart questions asked by this well-informed crowd. The folks in Pulaski said they were irritated about the partisan gridlock they see every day in Congress. I really appreciated the support many of them provided for my consistent efforts in Congress to work across the aisle to find commonsense, bipartisan solutions for our nation’s most urgent challenges. That town hall meeting gave me renewed energy and confidence as we return to work in Congress.
  • In Marion, I had the privilege of addressing about two-dozen graduates of a U.S. Job Corps program that trains young women for today’s jobs in the rapidly changing healthcare industry. Several of these impressive women shared very personal stories about the economic hardships confronting their families, and I could not have been prouder of the commitment they have demonstrated in finishing this potentially life-changing program. As a result, they will be very well equipped to compete -- and win -- in today’s competitive job market.
  • In Bristol, I helped more than 70 local churches working together as Bristol’s Faith in Action open a one-stop-shop for emergency assistance to local families in need. I also was pleased to hold several meetings with leaders of the region’s coal mining industry: I told these executives that I remain committed to supporting coal as an important part of our nation’s overall energy mix.
  • Finally, would any trip to southwest Virginia be complete without an opportunity to celebrate the culture -- and commerce -- surrounding NASCAR? I was excited to be there during race weekend, and I eagerly joined tens of thousands of southwest Virginia motorsports fans at the Food City 250 at Bristol Motor Speedway. Nothing compares to the sights, sounds and raw excitement of a Friday night race at Bristol!
You know that the people, families, and businesses in southwest Virginia have always been a priority for me, dating back to when I had the privilege of serving as Virginia Governor. I want you to know that the same commitment to your economic future and quality-of-life will continue as long as I am honored to serve as your representative in the U.S. Senate.

Best Regards,


Mark Warner
"

No comments:

Post a Comment