Wednesday, March 13, 2024

A Book Trope I Wish Happened More Often in Real Life

This week's Long And Short Reviews question was "Which book trope do you wish happened more often in real life?" 

My answer is late because I wanted to see whether we all said the same thing at once.

Well, no. Other people seem to be less scarred by our low-paid job than I am. 

Book tropes other reviewers wanted to see in real life included:

* The reformed character. Especially the mean, greedy rich character who becomes kind and generous, like Scrooge at the end of Dickens' Christmas Carol.

* Talking to animals. (We almost can. I think I do pretty well at understanding what Serena has to say to me, but that's probably because she understands that, in real life, about all it's worth the trouble to try to tell me in so many eye-rolls and tail-twitches are things like "Let me in," "Let me out," "Where's my breakfast?", and "That vegan meal you're cooking would be even better with chicken.")

* Time travel. Meh. What if you accidentally prevented yourself from being born? But the paradoxes of time travel are fun to think about.

* Happy endings. Who wouldn't.

* The weird stuff that happens to people causes them to develop super-powers. Being bitten by a vanomous animal might make you able to fight crime more effectively, say. 

* People get what they deserve...often a sad or at least embarrassing ending. Baddies don't even have to be brought to justice by the good characters because they roll their cars over cliffs, get stuck in trees, and are found waving for help and crying feebly, "I robbed the bank. The money's in the trunk. Please get me out of this car. I don't mind going to jail." Love it.

 * "Marriage crisis" motivates people to work things out and fall in love all over again, instead of splitting up and making their children miserable. I'd like to see more of that one, too.

But my choice is still the Billionnaire Romance. I have everything but money and deserve to be the heroine of a Billionnaire Romance where an extremely rich gentleman, who is also attractive, but has no living family members, falls in love with my diligent work, kind heart, bright eyes and black lamee hair. Well, at least enough to notice the eyes and hair above the assets lesser men notice first. 

Billionnaires have been so thick on the ground in recent romance novels that there really ought to be two. Brothers, perhaps. So when I met the one who is sixty years old, with beautiful snow-white hair, and we share our fantasies, and mine is about a store, he can say "But do you really like storekeeping? Wouldn't you rather just go to the store to write and let someone younger keep the store?" and I say, "Well I can handle the work, but I have this sister who has hearing loss and is not distracted by having other talents to use," and we hire my hard-of-hearing sister to keep the store, the brother who is just fifty and still has sort of gray-brown hair can marry my sister, too. In order to live happily ever after I'd need to know that that sister was taken care of. Also they have an employee who has been well enough paid to have saved up a good bit, during his career with them, and can provide for the girl my brother ought to have married. And we all live happily ever after in large and well separated houses. Having to live with the increasingly hard-of-hearing sister may rate somewhere between a broken leg and a broken knee, with me, but I do want a happily-ever-after trope for her story.

There ought to be more happily-ever-after endings in real life. And I'm not even particular about whether it's billions or millions, or whether they're prospective husbands or oily relatives who leave what's left of the oil money to us.

4 comments:

  1. This made me chuckle Priscilla! I think you do deserve a billionaire! And you're right, I hadn't considered accidentally preventing myself from being born!🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment :-) Yes, but it could make a good story. What if preventing a war prevented someone's ancestors from meeting, so that person wasn't born, but someone else was and so the time traveller had been born as a different person?

      PK

      Delete