Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Web Log for 3.25.24

Education 

Why don't people want more federal funding to relieve the burden of higher education? Not because (most) people want the young to start their adult lives carrying so much debt they can't afford to buy houses and get married while they're able to have children.


Food for thought. Maybe even material for research papers.

Music 

LOL...Alana Mautone cited this song as a source of a classic mondegreen: "See that girl! Watch her scream, kicking the Dancing Queen!"

Reminded me that in my early teens I had no trouble mentally seeing that girl and watching "that team picking the Dancing Queen"--y'know, the panel of judges nodding and bobbing to the beat,'cos her dancing is just so infectious!


A.B.B.A. was a Swedish band. By the time they recorded this song for sale in the US, the slang phrases they were actually singing had...not gone out of date so far as not to be understood, but faded out of popularity enough that I didn't think of "See that girl watch that scene, diggin' the Dancing Queen" as a probable interpretation of what I heard. And seriously, considering that I most often heard popular rock music on an old monaural radio, AM station, that some of the high school kids had begged the bus driver to let them wire into the back of the school bus as it rattled over the potholes, I'm not sure how I understood any lyrics of any classic 1980s song. One thing I've learned from You Tube is that I misheard a lot of them. One song was called "Beth," and all these years I've been thinking the singer was making his wimp noises at the usual "Babe" and the song was probably called "What Can I Do?"

No comments:

Post a Comment