Friday, March 8, 2024

Friday's Bad Poetry: Your New Fashion Fad, the Cotton Tabard Sweater

(Notes below.)

Since every knitter always ought
to own the perfect sweater,
I thought about some ways to knit
a sweater that was better
than those I've worn in other years.
This one's for growing old
and sweating out a fever in 
a room that might feel cold
or really be cold, as I grow
more stubborn, each year older,
and seek to lower heating bills
by leaving the house colder.
Well. If you want to read or knit
while ice forms on your drink
and say "Of course I'm cozy in
my hand knit! What d'you think?"
then pull down vanity about
yarn that began as oil
and wear Red Heart acrylic, for
all weather it can foil..
But when you want to show a bit
of fashion sense remaining,
then choose a cozy cotton knit
requiring less explaining.
Being worked from side to side, it forms
stripes subtly up and down,
or they can be less subtly worked,
bright, cheerful as a clown.
And it can have a hood, a cowl,
or open boatneck top
for those who tend to overheat
and out of it will pop.
And seams are laced instead of sewn
so that you can decide
each time you put it on, how much
stays open at the side.
And front and back don't have to match
so it can form a blanket
down front alone, or back alone,
without a need to yank it
up on the other side. And it
can form a trendy, arty
diagonal line at waist and hip
if you think that looks smarty
or leaves space for a purse, a pocket,
a tv-remote,
a wheelchair brake, a service bell,
whatever floats your boat.
Mine is designed for typing even
if screen porch grows ice,
and having put it on, I thought,
"Though I knit nothing twice,
the 'sampler stitch stripes' could go on
for years without repeating,
and all who sit, at work, in bed,
one of them will be needing.
Oh, that was an imperfect rhyme!
My verse trademark is "Bad,"
so I'll compound my lit'ry crime
and publish this--an ad!"

Because my muse is snarky, it was hard to decide whom to add to the list of Bad Poetry I've already written about people who've influenced my life. I didn't particularly like the "Papa Don't Preach" one last year. I did like the one about my fourth grade math teacher, "Ode to Mr. Ed. --." 


So maybe posting that link will get it off my mind and I'll think of another one. Anyway, a poem about sensuous clothing is right up a knitter's alley, especially this winter as I've been designing and knitting the prototype Tabard Sweater. There ought to be a picture of it but I don't have even a bad digital camera...woe, wail...maybe I can knit and sell enough of these sweaters to buy one...

The poem jingled out naturally to about 350 words, Putting notes above the poem, I've been warned, messes up the word counter at the Poets & Storytellers United web site. This Blogspot page doesn't even have a word counter. Anyway, to stay inside the official word limit, I moved the notes to the bottom.

They cost $40 for a short shrug or bed jacket style, $60 for a tunic style, or $80 for a robe style, or half the price indicated if you already have the yarn. If I buy the yarn, acrylic is cheaper and other natural fibres are more expensive. If you have the yarn, the cost of knitting is the same--a little higher for lightweight yarn. Each tabard will be unique.

8 comments:

  1. Being a knitter, I appreciated this, though my sweaters are always far from perfect. Now lap throws....they're a breeze!! But ice forming on my drink? Ah never had to sit in a house that cold. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha, it might make a very good ad for your products – but how I would have loved pictures as well! (Even though some of the word pictures were wonderfully graphic.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a terrible handicap to any attempt to market my knits...when digital cameras were available, images have still been blurry and colors not true.

      Delete
  3. The rhyme was great, a lot. What is this poem supposed to teach the kids? Do you have a word processor on your computer? Surely as a writer you would. If so, it will count words for you. Mine said 352 words in your poem proper. I use Apache "Open Office 4", very similar to MS Word but it is free. I click on "Text Document" and it gives me "OpenOffice Writer".
    I told my sister about it, she loves it too, although I write more than she.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I pasted it into Open Office to get a word count. One thing Open Office can do.

      (Google is still misbehaving. On some blogs it recognizes me; on my own it doesn't.)

      PK

      Delete
  4. Ok so now I've learnt what a tabard sweater is and all its variations... wonderful to be able to create things for oneself and others!

    ReplyDelete