Wednesday, July 26, 2023

A Job I'd Be Good At

It's another Long And Short Reviews question: Describe a job you'd be good at.

I don't have to speculate. I've done this before. I can be a great Writer's Assistant. I type accurately at a good speed, remember how to spell words, think in long but mostly grammatical sentences, read French and Spanish easily, at least recognize other languages, can hear "Tell him to go to Hell" and type "Due to budget constraints we have decided not to...", know when to slap or shake a machine and when to call the repair shop, don't draw rigid little lines between "business" and "personal" or feel offended if I'm asked to take the dog for a walk while the writer makes a phone call, will water the plants and feed the animals while the writer's on the road, focus on remote work as well as on on-site work, and know better than to count on every connection being made when scheduling travel. 

Some people are, of course, more congenial than others. I've lived long enough to know why some relationships don't work. Astigmatism (the peculiar way my eyes have been able to work so well for so long without glasses) keeps visual cues from being a primary method of communication for me, so I'm not going to waste a lot of effort trying to build rapport with a visual thinker. It's my disability not theirs, but I don't communicate easily or well with deaf people--including my natural sister. I have tended to work well with blind people and wheelchair users. 

I enjoy letting my mind follow the way someone else's mind works. Wherever it may go. Writers' minds tend to go in more interesting directions than, say, insurance claims adjusters' minds. 


6 comments:

  1. I used to be such a fast typer (with correct spellings) but now I tend to rush to get my ideas out that I often look back and think 'what was I actually saying here?' Same with handwriting. It's soneasy to fall out of the practice.

    Translating 'Tell him to go to hell...' is a skill all it's own! 🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more automatic the typing becomes, the easier it is for the hands to get away from the brain...

      Delete
  2. That’s a great example of turning raw emotion into business speak. I chuckled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being the clerk/secretary of NGOs has given me some 'writer's assistant' skills -- especially the cleaning and polishing of heated statements! Thirty minutes of heated argument turns into "Extensive discussion followed".

    ReplyDelete