Friday, October 2, 2026

Web Log for 10.1.26

Censorship 

It's probably a system glitch (Live Journal has a goat mascot and says the goat must have been chewing on the wires), but this morning one of the coolest, most levelheaded, most genuinely liberal writers alive was just "suspended" from Dreamwidth "for a policy violation." What policy that might be, I cannot imagine. Readers, beware.

Decor 

I had to laugh at the sight of this lovely front porch with a view of another Victorian house cater-cornered across the road...


Lens failed to locate a source for the photo. What amuses me so is that I can tell, on close inspection, that the plants and the paint colors are different, but the shape of the porch, the things arranged on it, and the view from it looks just as a friend's front porch did when the town council demanded she "clean" it. Busybodies should sink in a pit!

The front porch photograph is being used to market another Book Funnel promotion. Beware...


Fashion 


Why I've never bothered with tattoos...my visible scars have stories that are at least funnier than "I had nothing better to do with my money than pay someone to mutilate my skin." 

The one on my face is a chickenpox scar. Mother had hovered over me hissing "Don't scratch it!" for a few days, it had stopped itching, the crust was about to fall off all by itself, and hours before that final healing occurred, I dived across the couch to thump my brother with a cushion and bumped the back of the couch. Neither of us had any real discomfort with chickenpox. Both of us felt very unfortunate, having it in summer, when it was wasted, rather than during a school term when it would have been good for weeks of "vacation."

The one on my hand preserves the memory of the night we got stoned on secondhand smoke on a bus rolling down into Florida. For no obvious reason my brother, who had been dozing off, grabbed my hand hard enough that two fingernails dug into the skin and left scars. You can still just barely see where one of those scars was. 

The one on my arm came from a laid-off police dog whose humans had gone away to school. He was playing; you can tell because I have a scarred arm rather than a stub. He was not a vicious dog but he was living with a vicious horrorcow. I am not generally afraid of dogs but I did tell the police I was afraid of dogs owned by that person. 

Tattoos are considered cool because they show that you've endured pain, but it seems a bit like "stolen valor." Any kind of active physical work, even sports, is likely to cause pain and leave scars.

If you want a decoration to cover up actual scars or blemishes, or distract attention from those, laundry markers are great. They last about as long as it takes for you to get bored with the image and find it embarrassing. They don't morph into grotesquery as you grow older. 

Music 

Tom Petty.



Einar Englund.


Matthew Halsall.


Germaine Tailleferre.


Neil Young. ("Mad mix" is what I'm going for, but there is no obligation to listen to everything linked here, in or out of the order presented.)


Anna Bon di Venezia. 


Henry Mancini.


Msria Teresa Agnesi Pinottini. 


Traffic.


Fanny Mendelssohn.


The Kingsmen.


Tschaikovsky.


The Sonics.



Johann Sebastian Bach.


Johannes Bornlof.


Frederic Chopin.


Les Tres.


David Nevue.


Aaron Gold.


Dropkick Murphys.


Avi Kaplan.


Sturgill Simpson.


Tchip-Tchip.


Jolly Rogers.


Avishai Cohen.


Rowdy Bunch.


Gramatik.


Judy Garland.


Aukai.


George Harrison.


Boogie Belgique.



Disney. 


Emancipator.


Nathan Evans.


Steve Miller Band.


Home Free.


"Dungeons & Dragons folk song." 

No comments:

Post a Comment