Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Morgan Griffith on the Planned Parenthood Scandal Cluster

(This one goes under "scam" because if fetal tissue is being donated without consent, for profit, with no compensation to the survivor of the operation, that's a scam.) From U.S. Representative Morgan Griffith (R-VA-9):

"Investigating Planned Parenthood

Like many of you, I am very disturbed by recently-released videos involving Planned Parenthood. The content of these videos is abhorrent and despicable, and the actions described are potentially illegal.

As summarized by the news publication The Hill, “The anti-abortion group Center for Medical Progress has released more than an hour of footage that raises questions about how Planned Parenthood obtains fetal tissue from abortions to be donated to medical research, and whether it is receiving illegal compensation. GOP lawmakers have said the videos specifically indicate the potential violation of three laws: profiting from tissue donations, altering the procedure of an abortion and donating fetal tissue without consent.”

According to reports, several states are investigating Planned Parenthood actions. Congressional committees, including the Energy and Commerce Committee on which I serve, have also launched investigations. Additionally, my colleagues and I on the Health Subcommittee are holding a hearing this week entitled “Protecting Infants: Ending Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Providers Who Violate the Law.” Further, I have signed on as a cosponsor of H.R. 3134, the Defund Planned Parenthood Act, which would immediately halt all federal funding of Planned Parenthood for one year as Congress continues investigating the organization's activities.

While Planned Parenthood and its supporters say that tax dollars are not used on abortions, money is fungible and is easily moved from one function to another. The federal government has no business subsidizing abortion directly or indirectly.

If you have questions, concerns, or comments, feel free to contact my office. You can call my Abingdon office at 276-525-1405 or my Christiansburg office at 540-381-5671. To reach my office via email, please visit my website at www.morgangriffith.house.gov. Also on my website is the latest material from my office, including information on votes recently taken on the floor of the House of Representatives."

No comments:

Post a Comment