Monday, October 3, 2022

Book Review: Worthless

Title: Worthless 

Author: Tanya Mills

Date: 2022

Publisher: T. Mills (via Book Baby)

ISBN: 978-1-66785-103-7

Quote: 

"Don't give me the poems
With beauty and light
They mean nothing to me
Give me the poems
With darkness and despair
That set my soul free."

This is a book of poems for and about women who are "depressed." The medical insurance industry currently prefers to think that these women are suffering from a physical disease. That's not what the narrators in these consistently first-person, short, unhappy poems describe. None of them mentions a physical symptom.

What most of these women say, unambiguously, is that they are unhappy about a reality problem. They all loved men too much, too soon. They didn't make these men work to win their love. They rushed into these men's arms, made commitments, then felt terribly disappointed that the men didn't rush to match their eagerness to commit. They were "liberated" from those older, less "feeling" influences that might have advised them to curb their hormones, cultivate lives of their own, have something to offer before they offered anything to any man. As a direct result of this false "liberation" they're now trapped in misery, blaming themselves for not having had even more to throw at the feet of unworthy men or, in slightly more lucid moments, for not having attracted better men. 

"I wake up and you are gone 
And I think it's just my fate
That people keep moving on
It may just be too late
For me to catch up to you
No matter how hard I try
And maybe it's the truth
I am better off not knowing why."

The "people" who "keep moving on," using and abandoning these women, are all men. Only sexual love seems to mean anything to these women. They don't seem to have children, nor do they mention having friends or parents. None of them ever mentions any interests of her own. They want to live for emotional gratification, and they want all of that gratification to come to them from men who've been brought up believing that all they have to do in life is lie on the couch letting other people meet their "needs" and praise these men if they manage to eat a vegetable or throw a ball, 

It's not that young women who are not living with this specific kind of "depression," or women who've managed to become "older" without it, won't feel some empathy for these women while reading Worthless. We should. Everybody has felt some of the pain of rejection, on some level. It's unpleasant enough when people reject our sales pitches, withhold tips, send back our manuscripts. Because the pain of offering oneself "body and soul," as the speakers in these poems do, and being rejected on that level is obviously even worse than the pain of not getting the job or the promotion, people who care about young women like these speakers feel a need to speak to them severely, in dire tones of warning:

"Giving yourself" completely, right away, is of course the formula for a "love" that will Go Wrong, leaving the women who seek so desperately to be loved by men alone with their broken hearts. "My heart cries for you nightly," one woman assures a man who, if he reads that line, probably asks himself whether a different country is far away enough. "Crying on the floor," another woman is. "[T]he tears roll / Down my cheeks." "I have nothing left to give." "I gave body and soul." One pleads, "So don't...leave me crying in an alley / In a bad part of town," having willfully forgotten that "a bad part of town" is traditionally defined by being where women who throw themselves at men's feet generally get kicked away to.  

Though the cover image is of a very pretty young woman, the type who might get a man to use her for one night despite her repulsive way of thinking, these poems define unattractiveness, Older women don't go back to college in order to be elected Homecoming Queen, but it's a rare woman who takes a college course after age twenty-five without picking up a few twenty-year-old admirers. Women who are disfigured, obese, or wheelchair-bound likewise have admirers. Women with prison records do, even if they were guilty, and even if they admit it. But "Little Miss Needy," the emotional black hole who throws herself at men "body and soul," asking for nothing first but expecting eternal love and fidelity forever after, may well launch a thousand ships--all of them sailing away, as far and as fast as they can go. 

And although the men are to blame for taking advantage of Little Miss Needy's hormones (she is obviously unfit to care for a child), it is hard to blame them for being so terrified by her cravings for "love." What is there to love about a Little Miss Needy? Oh, well, the hormones supply physical attractiveness, at least until she gets pregnant. There's the long hair, the smooth skin, the trim little waistline, and Little Miss Needy probably spent her teen years staring into mirrors and studying how to maximize the appeal of all these attributes. A young man can spend one or even two evenings just adoring her physical attributes. After that, well, how much is there to say about hair, however raven the waves or golden the ringlets. In cultures where society expected young men to appreciate their brides' beauty, spend a few weeks begetting their heirs, then go off to sea or to war and very likely never return, the ability nature has given young men to impregnate Little Miss Needy might have been useful for the survival of the tribe. But a physical attraction, especially after it's been gratified, is a very different thing from love. 

Little Miss Needy's exes might even be writing their own stories somewhere, of how they woke up the next morning with one of those golden ringlets trailing around their necks and felt that they were choking and had to get away before those eyes they were gazing into, the night before, opened to see them. ("I saw your love for me die / All I had to do was look in your eyes," says the woman in one of Mills' poems.) The recriminations to which even eye contact is sure to lead will be too much to bear. Men project all sorts of horrific fantasy images onto Little Miss Needy the next day; her hair becomes a mat of seaweed trapping them in an undertow, her pliant body becomes a trap, her rose-red lips seem to drip with their blood. 

There is an alternative but it requires some work, from both halves of the couples who achieve misery by seeking physical satisfaction too soon. Hormones are like fire--a good servant and a bad master. We all have to say no to our bodies. (Even in primitive societies, anthropologists report, there's a universal recognition that feeling and resisting sexual desire is part of growing up.) Those of us who want to be happy, or at least not depressed young women and angry young men, will probably have to live with peer pressure as well as hormonal pressure to commit ourselves too soon. We have to have lives of our own that lovers can want to share. We have to have something to offer--not merely a "dowry" of family money, either--something that we can do and be, that lovers can continue to find interesting after they've seen our physical "charms." We have to liberate ourselves from the craving to be loved for long enough to become lovable. 

That's the positive sermon. Worthless is the negative sermon preached to the same audience. Though one of Mills' speakers mentions "pills that stop me / From going insane," none of them is insane, or seems to be in real danger of becoming so. They all know what's going on around them; their poems are not about where they live or what day it is, but if asked they'd know the answer to those questions; they are not hallucinating or going into trance states. They are just very unhappy with the bad choices they've made. 

Novelists may have some excuse for their obsession with one kind of happy ending. "Jill laid her head on Jack's shoulder" sounds just a little bit more exciting than "Jill got up and went to work, stopped at the library on the way home, then went home, ate the mango that had been ripening on the window sill, and washed a load of laundry." One mark of a good novelist would be the person's ability to convince young readers that Jill might in fact feel bliss while washing the laundry. The book she's reading, the favorite song on the radio, or just the satisfaction of seeing her own tidy little room furnished with her own things, could trigger a surge of calmer but equally happy biochemicals just as easily as hugging a man could. All of the narrators of all of the poems in Worthless could benefit from savoring the pleasures of housekeeping, studying, cooking, reading, walking, and just appreciating wherever it is that they live. If they protest (and they might) that those pleasures sound "lonely," well, that kind of loneliness is the matrix in which real friendships form. 

12 comments:

  1. Did I hurt you in some way? You completely misinterpreted the book, and then write a manifesto about what a needy whore I am.So I ask again - did I hurt you in some way to prompt this disgusting review?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Say *what*? I say the characters in the poems are sad because they've made mistakes. The book never mentions prostitution, nor did I--the speakers in the poems are clearly looking for love. They say they're needy; I say that's something they need to change. I did not assume that they were you.

      I *did* write this review with specific young people in mind. I'll plead guilty to the charge of preaching at them that "Worthless" tells them what to avoid doing. But I recommend your book!

      Delete
    2. You can play the victim as much as you want. Because unlike you with me, I am not out to make you or your work look pathetic. Please do me a favor and don't read any more of my work. Or give me a less insane review - either/or.

      Delete
    3. Victim? ???

      At this point I wish I had a book of poems on the market so you *could* savage it. Mixed reviews drive sales.

      I see no victims here--just the kind of literary squabble that motivates some people to read a book.

      If you want to explain, as precisely and objectively as possible, what you'd like in a review, please use the e-mail. I am interested; I'd even consider changing the review, if that can be done with integrity.

      Delete
  2. This really sounds like an unhinged rant that isn't a book review at all, but a projection of your own fears and regrets onto a book you didn't read or didn't understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I don't think it's possible not to understand what's going on in the book, it is obvious that I misunderstood a lot about Tanya Mills. I didn't read the book as autobiography. Apparently it was. I didn't want to hurt or discourage Mills. Obviously I did. That, I regret.

      That I took the time to give myself a life my husband wanted to share, I don't regret at all. We can't choose that everything in life will be perfect; my husband had cancer. But I am glad I chose to wait for an empowering marriage.

      Delete
    2. The book had nothing to do about marriage. It's obviously possible for you to misunderstand the book, because you did. Good for you on waiting for your perfect marriage and being able to give so much to your husband. That sounds delightful. Unfortunately, life has been hectic lately, so I haven't had a chance to run out and get you a medal.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  3. Well. I wanted to read a new book of poems and write a "literary" essay about them. I found this book worthy of such an essay. That the author was offended by my thoughts, I regret...because I could have used the payment for that essay. And now of course I can't write or sell the essay.

    Oh, well...dozens of other writers have liked my reviews. No reviewer is perfect, any more than the books we review are. Somewhere Out There is a book of poems by a more compatible author. If any readers want to recommend one, please do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and make sure it reflects a Stepford-wife type of existence, since that's the only kind of people we should identify with.

      Delete
  4. One can identify with characters who make mistakes. People sit on the edges of their seats watching movies, urging the characters not to go into the basement where the murderer lurks.

    I don't believe that the mistakes that doom personal relationships damn people's immortal souls or define them forevermore as human beings. I do think attention needs to be called to the fact that giving too much, too soon, is a mistake that dooms relationships--and one I especially want my niece(s) to avoid.

    It would be interesting to know what would happen if Tanya Mills and Anonymous let themselves stop identifying with the "Little Miss Needy" archetype I (mistakenly) assumed Mills was portraying with empathy rather than totally identifying with. What happens when young women love themselves instead of demanding that boyfriends do it?

    One thing that *won't* happen is their becoming robot "Stepford Wives." That's a different outcome that might happen to a Little Miss Needy. Women who take time for self-actualization are unique, and as mentioned above their lives aren't perfect--but they're not likely to spend a lot of time crying on the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Anonymous:

    In a very modest way, a book of poems rather than psychological self-help or political analysis, Mills just may have pinpointed the cause of the biggest health problem, after breast cancer and unsuspected heart disease, facing women today. Since she was smart enough to do that I'm guessing that she's continuing to hang out here, rather than e-mailing a list of what she doesn't like or what she hoped for, because controversy sells. I'm willing to do controversy, though not catfights.

    I could be wrong. Mills' talent may have caused me to overestimate her maturity. She may actually *need* to be told that people aren't likely to take sensitivity lessons from people who label their work "disgusting" and "insane." She may actually be trying to publish her own diary, rather than reach readers who were turned off by the size of "Women Who Love Too Much" or "Men Are Just Desserts" or "Women Men Love, Women Men Leave." Anything's possible, but that would surprise me.

    Meanwhile, "preachy" I can see. "Belaboring the point" I can see. "I already KNOW not to have sex before marriage, Auntie Pris!" I can see. A blog post is a sort of draft or proposal; I wrote this one mainly for The Nephews, with the intention of changing it for a broader audience; I'd welcome objective, realistic suggestions for the changes. But "insane" and "disgusting"? The LOL is LOL.

    ReplyDelete