Sunday, October 9, 2022

Book Review: I've Got to Talk to Somebody God

Title: I've got to Talk to Somebody God

Author: Marjorie Holmes (Mighell)

Date: 1968

Publisher: Doubleday

ISBN: none

Length: 121 pages

Illustrations: drawings by Betty Fraser

Quote: "I don't peel potatoes as often as my mother did, Lord, but when I do, I'm grateful. I suddenly feel near to you, my creator."

Marjorie Holmes had written seven novels, all moderately successful in their time and forgotten now, and a book about the art of writing, before this breakthrough book of prayers, many of which had been printed as columns in the Washington Evening Star. In her time Holmes was well connected; this slim book carries blurbs from Catherine Marshall, Mary Martin, and Senator Margaret Chase Smith.

My guess would be that, if this book had been written by some obscure private Jane Doe, it would never even have been printed.

But it was printed; it sold well; it made Holmes' reputation as a Christian writer. Margaret Chase Smith's praise for Holmes' "rare and unusual talent for releasing deep, inner feelings" might have given people pause in 1978, but in 1968 the "deep, inner feelings" people were still encouraging each other to release took words like:

"How much am I free to spend without feeling guilty?"

"I'm not young and beautiful any more, the way my heart imagines. When I look in the mirror I could cry."

"Bless the school buses and their drivers, let them trans­port our children safely."

"I'm tired of Scout meetings and music lessons...And oh, God, so tired of P.T.A."

"I don't believe I've ever thought to thank you, God, for this wonderful friend...for all the years we've known each other."

In short, this book reads like a Christian mom-blog from fifty years ago. It's recommended to young "Moms" who want to reflect on how much has and has not changed in all those years.

2 comments: