Thursday, October 5, 2023

Web Log for 10.4.23

Categories: Introverts, Music, Poems, Politics.

Introverts 


Yes. We have our own ways of forming communities. They are better.

Music 

This song is about a stage in a young woman's life that I want to affirm...while calling attention to the fact that the music industry demands that the girl show her freedom and empowerment in the most degrading, least empowering way.  It's something for young women to reflect on: For you, does liberation mean acting either more like an extrovert or more like a prostitute, or acting less like either of those things?


I shared this one at HowToMeow, so might as well post it here. Comment? Why not make a point my generation tended to forget: This is not a folk song. It has excellent potential for becoming one. (Real folk songs can be arranged for large groups to add all kinds of fancy effects, but they can also be sung by one or two people.) Currently it's still an art song--a song recent enough that we know who wrote it. All those twentieth century songs that were written with a hope of becoming folk songs, that can still be traced to Dylan or Lightfoot or Ritchie or Baez...they're still art songs, not folk songs.


Poems 

This one touches my heart. I don't know who the poet is, or where, or what's wrong with his back. I don't know whether it can be fixed. But although I'm no longer (paying to be) licensed to do massage as a business, I do still know a lot of things that help some of the people who can relate to this poem. I can still legally do them as favors for people who do other nice things for me...sometimes. Lots of different things can go wrong with backs but many of them are caused by muscle strain; that I can fix.


In real life, yes, stray socks can clog washing and drying machines, causing malfunctions. Socks take longer to dry, but may do less damage, if washed in a laundry bag or pillowcase.


Politics 

Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez denies having actually said that eighty years was long enough for anyone to live. Right. Maybe she didn't say that. But this time the evidence was photographed.



2 comments: