Friday, May 24, 2024

Bad Poetry: Little Things

For the first night in recent weeks
I'm alone in the office. No squeaks
from Little Things who, of course, speak
no human language, but say"Me!"
and "Now!" in English, and a few
words that are usually written "Mew,"
But they use different words. Tones make clear
a few of their words, even to human ear.
The "quee--yew," meaning "Oh very well but we're
not comfortable with it." The "Eek!" that means
"What you did hurt." The querulous "we-e-e"
that means "I'm not feeling well," The 
"oooh" that means "Now that's a wee 
bit better." The basic kitten-speak
that humans use, too, to age two or three.  

Why aren't they in the office? All week
they've watched adult cats eat, all squeaking "Me!
If youall eat, I want to eat! Feed me!" 
Tonight, as kittens do, they began to eat
some solid food. We all knew what we'd see
next. Their mother seemed even to foresee
what they would need to know, where need
to go. For two or three days she would lead
them to the sand pit, first, and then she'd feed
and clean them, as cats do. Mornings, I'd leave
them on the porch; evenings, they'd be 
brought in, out of reach of predators' greed.
The kittens would put up their paws and plead
to be picked up and carried. "Me now! Me!"
'
This evening, after dinner, on my knees
they snuggled up and settled down to sleep, 
purring aloud in a contented heap.
"Now, kittens, you wait for your mother here,"
"Don't go!" was what they said. It came out "Eek."
I waited for the dark of night to creep
across the sky. Went out. No cats I see.
Their mother knows where they will need to be
tonight, The first time she wants them to be
observed, instructed, by cats, not by me.

Some little things we humans hear and see
let us live out Doctor Doolittle's dream.
"Miscommunication between the cat and me,"
I thought, and then: "How can that even seem
unusual? Yet, for these five weeks, we
have understood each other as if spe-
cies made no difference. Only tonight has she
surprised me." Now I say: "Quee--yew."

(Prompted by Poets & Storytellers United)

7 comments:

  1. You understand their language so well. This was a sweet look inside your catalious life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Debi. I'm fascinated by all animals' learning and communication patterns...cats are relatively easy! Over the years the possums have had quite a lot to say for themselves, and I can't understand any of their "words."

    PK

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your story/poem is delightful! Meow~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how I love this!!! (I speak cat too.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Little kittens are much fun. I speak some kitten but puppy dog much better. Oh yes, office isn't a place to be at night?
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sinuses will not allow me to pick up this charming language, but I like your description of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the use of language meanings in this.

    ReplyDelete