Monday, January 4, 2016

Morgan Griffith on Finding the Tax Forms You Need

From U.S. Representative Morgan Griffith, R-VA-9:

Serving You

With the holidays having come and gone, we are now approaching a time of less merriment – tax season, which is scheduled to begin on January 19.

Last year, as you may recall, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) made available limited paper tax forms and free instruction booklets at your local library or your county’s Commissioner of Revenue. This was particularly troublesome for farmers who use the 1040 Schedule F form (the “Profit or Loss From Farming” form).

As of the writing of this column, we have yet to receive confirmation that limited forms and booklets will be available again this year. However, I would note ahead of time that IRS forms and instructions can be found at to be downloaded and printed. If, like some in the Ninth District, you do not have Internet access, I would welcome you to contact my offices (see below) for assistance acquiring tax forms and instructions.

If you have questions, concerns, or comments, feel free to contact my office. You can call my Abingdon office at 276-525-1405 or my Christiansburg office at 540-381-5671. To reach my office via email, please visit my website at Also on my website is the latest material from my office, including information on votes recently taken on the floor of the House of Representatives.

This web site recommends always filing tax forms on paper. Yes, this web site is aware that the IRS employs some world-class experts on hacking, who have reputations to maintain, and if there is an online site that can guarantee they'll protect your information, is it. However, since anything we do online is streamed through the cloud, this web site does not believe it's possible for any online site to protect information that's valuable to information thieves.