Thursday, January 4, 2024

Status Update: Blog Returns to Life

Happy New Year, Gentle Readers! I hope you've all been enjoying all of the holidays.

The good news is that the computer's connecting to the Internet from that private connection again; I'm not in McDonald's today. That's very good news, because the walk back from McDonald's felt much more tiring than it ought to have felt; I may be fighting the flu, or a cold or COVID or some such tiresome little thing. 

It wasn't all that cold last night. At the weather station the temperature was above freezing while I was walking back from McDonald's. In Gate City I could feel the ground freezing under my feet as I walked briskly into the wind, overcoat open because it had to cover the laptop computer slung over my shoulder. Near the shopping plaza it was slushy; before I reached the bridge it was icy. Along the way, people could see that something was moving along the side of the road--they swung over into the fast lane to dodge whatever-it-was--but through the falling rain and snow what they saw undoubtedly looked more like Quasimodo than like a harmless old lady, so it was hard to blame them for driving around me as fast as they could instead of sharing their cars. I have walked farther in worse weather. My resistance has been lowered by glyphosate and other chemical poisoning earlier this week. I'm still losing blood.

The bad news is of course that the cyberchores have kept piling up through the holidays. 

Book reviews that should have gone live during December will be popping up, a few hours apart, until I've caught up. Links and regular non-book posts will resume after the book reviews are done. Short reviews and star points should start appearing on the public book sites (Goodreads, Library Thing, etc.) by Monday if not before.

I've wondered whether this disconnection was some sort of cosmic message about the blog's observation of Christmas this year...but then someone did hand me a lovely Christmas post, so among the first regular posts to go live will be one about a new Christmas "tradition" I had the opportunity to observe in Kingsport this year.

Now, back to the books and book reviews...December's Best Cozy Mysteries were not Christmas-themed so they'll appear after the Christmas-themed books. 

No comments:

Post a Comment