Tuesday, March 6, 2012

So the Man Can't Sing?

An Israeli judge, of Arab descent and Christian affiliation, is under fire for refusing to sing along with the Israeli national anthem:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/arab-justice-ignites-controversy-after-refusing-to-sing-israeli-national-anthem/

Interesting ethical dilemma. I'd imagine that, if I wanted to live in Israel, being openly non-Jewish either by birth or by profession of faith, and my Jewish neighbors accepted me enough to offer me a prestigious position in the government of the Jewish State, I would feel able to sing words that translate as "Our hope is not yet lost, the hope of two thousand years, to be a free people in our land."

But maybe Salim Joubran has other reasons not to sing. How many U.S. citizens fail to sing along with "The Star-Spangled Banner" because we've lost all hope of being able to hit the high notes?

Can we all lighten up a little?

No comments:

Post a Comment