Friday, July 22, 2016

Veto or Improve?

I don't like backing down any more than my e-friends at Food Democracy Now do. I'm not really proud that all three of my Congresspeeps backed down on S764, the U.S. Senate bill that caved to Monsanto and allowed manufacturers to "label" GMO food products with wacky-looking computer codes instead of real labels.

But...

1. S764 does solidly enforce food manufacturers' privilege to brand food products as being GMO-free, which they can and should exploit for all it's worth during the years it'll take bigger manufacturers to get the GMO poisons out of their production lines. Some GMO foods are pure poison to me, while others don't noticeably affect me but do affect some people...either way, if you've had symptoms similar to salmonella, listeria, E. coli, etc., only more so, from inadvertently ingesting one genetically modified food product, you will pay more for anything that can legally be branded GMO-free.

2. S764 is a compromise with Big Food, yes. With Evil Monsanto, yes. I would prefer to see Monsanto held to account, stripped of assets to compensate those of us who've been sickened by "Roundup-Ready" (E. Coli) corn products, down to their shirts and then put'em on a chain gang in their shorts, yes.

3. Nevertheless, Morgan Griffith is an intelligent Congressman who has generally represented me and the conservative Ninth District of Virginia pretty well. Mark Warner and Tim Kaine seldom represent our district accurately at all--as Democrats, they're misrepresenting their party if they do represent us well--but they're intelligent men; you could insert a "non-family-filtered-word-of-choice" before "intelligent" if you want one. When those three agree on something, it does make me stop and consider why. I'm not thrilled by their compromise on S764, but as compromises go it is...intelligent.

With this in mind, I leave it to you readers whether you want to call the White House hotline set up for this purpose to "show Obama the movement." Bearing in mind that killing S764 will maintain better labelling in Vermont, but not necessarily maintain such labelling as we have in the other States, possibly including yours. If I thought White House staff would tally calls in favor of keeping S764 for now and immediately enacting something better next year, I'd use a phone minute on that.

"

"

No comments:

Post a Comment