Monday, April 29, 2024

New Book Review: Housemates With My Billionaire Boss

Title: Housemates with My Billionaire Boss 

Author: Lila Marlow

Date: 2024

Publisher; Lila Marlow

Quote: "If I hired her, she would spend most of her time on the property."

Yes, this is one of those alternating-first-person romances where chapters seem to be taken from each character's diary in turn. It's also a mystery. Callum hires Glorietta, who has a master's degree in linguistics, to catalogue the Waltons (not Walton) family library. How old are the old books they find in a secret closet, and who hit Glorietta on the head when she found the closet behind a false barrier? In the course of solving the mystery and finishing the job, the young people share a house, chaperoned only by Callum's genuine concern for Glorietta's concussed condition, and decide sharing a house is fun.

Fair disclosure: I once committed to share a house for a whole summer with someone with whom I'd enjoyed sharing another house for weekends. It turned me completely off the house, the person, and the other four housemates by whom we were chaperoned--not that I expect any of them shed any tears when I moved out, either. My point here is that mileage varies. Being unexpected housemates is not as reliable a way to find True Romance as some novelists seem to think.

Anyway it's a sweet romance, so the only suspense is solving the mystery of the secret room in the library. Readers who enjoy sweet romances will enjoy this one. Well, no, it's not Joan Aiken, nor is it Eugenia Price. Nobody else is Joan Aiken or Eugenia Price, and these Book Funnel romances are up to the standards of the six-romances-per-month clubs.

No comments:

Post a Comment