Thursday, February 22, 2024

Link Log for 2.21.24

Post the short reviews for one book, read two e-friends' blogs: that's how I did the day. And did I really say, on Bookshop, that what I liked about one truly detestable book was that it's steamy? According to the form that's what I said...I don't mean that I buy or read books because they are steamy. Any self-respecting Bright Young Thing has memories that are steamy enough. I meant that the only thing anyone would like about that book was the explicit scenes. And I think the bottom line on that Bookshop review is that, although the book currently has a Bookshop page, it's not in my Bookshop/ 

In fact, it's a policy statement. I'm not opposed to steamy romances but, because explicit language attracts bad things to computers and I don't want to be involved with that, I'm not going to have a page for steamy romances at Bookshop. 

(What is Bookshop? It's yet another wonderful feature Amazon used to have. Reviewers can set up Bookshop pages free of charge with links to all the books we've reviewed that are currently "in print," and earn commissions if people buy the books from the publishers using our links. I don't really recommend shopping online, but if you shop online, buying shiny new books from my Bookshop is an easy way to support this web site.)

Gardening 

Most vegetables can only be reared indoors at this time of year, but here's a flower garden just about to put forth its first blooms. In Illinois, yet. We have had more Thaw than February. It's approaching 60 degrees (Fahrenheit, of course) as I type, though the temperature did drop below freezing for a few hours overnight.


Poetry 

True Green:


Do song lyrics count as poetry? This poet's tribute to Kurt Cobain reflects a belief that they do. I never was a fan, but, reading that "stomach issues" contributed so much to Cobain's depression and self-medication with street drugs, I wonder whether he was another casualty of glyphosate. So many people developed alarming "stomach issues" around that time, and none of us had a clue. I was so blessed to discover that my family have the celiac trait; we enjoyed several years of feeling really healthy. Non-celiacs got all sorts of bizarre diagnoses. Some doctors assumed that their pseudo-celiac reactions must be cancer and advised people to expect they had six months to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment