Monday, February 5, 2024

Web Log for 2.2.24 through 2.4.24

Actually I didn't find any links on 2.2.24. I opened some tabs but didn't stay up long enough to look at them. I am starting to feel overwhelmed by e-mail, mostly automated e-mails from Booktober Blitz writers who seem to imagine that the way to get their books read is to send everyone three or four e-mails a day, most of which basically say "Buy another book from me" or else "Buy my e-friend's book," and what these writers forget is that Booktober Blitz left readers neck-deep in e-books already. When I say "overwhelmed," I mean I feel a physical sensation best expressed as "I spent most of January fighting off one virus or another and those virus aren't all dead yet and I'd better lie down." It would be a better marketing strategy if all Booktober Blitz writers limited all automated e-mail to one "newsletter" per week or, better yet, per month. I still wouldn't have a chance to read any more books, but I'd feel less overwhelmed by waiting for Outlook to be sure to open another ad before opening the next e-mail, and less inclined to ignore e-mail altogether. Which is what I've been doing. Click on Outlook, scroll through a few screens looking for the screen names of real-world friends, click on something else.

Anyway. This web site will eventually resume its normal schedule. I'm not saying when. 

Appalachian Pride 

Re-shared from Twitter. And true.


Cybersecurity  

Reality. I think this constitutional lawyer (who is, incidentally, right) may be exaggerating the personal danger she's in, but I'm sure some people are trying very very hard not to believe that living with deliberate ongoing glyphosate poisoning is what's destroyed my resistance to these bleepin' virus, too. It doesn't have to be the targets of an activist's activism who stalk the activist. There are lunatics who harass any and all people who are "in the public eye," and many of them think women are safer targets than men.


Speculative fiction about a possible future development...


I recommend that nobody use or carry a "smartphone." I'm sorry about this. I enjoyed the benefits of carrying a simpler kind of cell phone, and recommended that others use  them, for a long time. The companies got greedy and deactivated the phones I, and most of my neighbors, liked. Guess what? We did not buy the phones they tried to sell us instead. We remembered that, well, life before cell phones was often unnecessarily messy, but we did survive it. So can you.

Holidays 

"Thank a Mail Person Day" on Sunday, the day when you never see one? Is that a bad joke? Think about it. This may be the first holiday that's intentionally designed to be observed the day after it officially falls, so you have time to put together a note, card, present, etc. How thoughtful of whoever created this Internet holiday!


Music 

I never listened to Dire Straits either. Don't remember what besides the name and the "rock" category put me off. Maybe it was the idea of a UK group doing topical songs about US news items, as with Neil Young? Big mistake, anyway. I could've been collecting records that have turned to gold...and, properly introduced to those records as part of an e-friend's guitar obsession, I find that I actually would have liked those records. Next to a proper Virginia accent, a proper Scottish accent like Knopfler's is my favorite form of English. 


Obituaries 

You never heard of her but I'm guessing that, after reading Vince Staten's memorial post, you'll never forget her, either.


Textiles 

Print fabric by Kaffe Fassett, shared at thepolkadotchicken.blogspot.com: 

No comments:

Post a Comment