Friday, August 2, 2024

Friday Poem: If You Love Your Neighbor...

"If elected, in the first 100 days, Kamala Harris promised an Australian-style recall of all firearms in America."--News item.

Well, I don't drive. I take no handouts. Burn 
Rather than dump. Sometimes I used to sing
In aid of urban missions. I did learn
Commandments as a child. Still new days bring
New challenges in service of True Love.
We hear Mean Girl McDowdypants proclaim:
"The Constitution? What of it? Above
It, I am. All firearms I'll simply claim!"
I seem to see a street lined with young men,
Lying where they fell when shot through the back.
Crows, gulls, or pigeons make wounds bleed again.
They are all colors, but three-fourths are Black.
On a less grandiose scale I saw such things,
The harvest that the long-sought gun ban brings.

If Dowdypants ever made good her boast
I do not say she'd ever be forgiven.
Leave that to grandparents who've lost the most.
I doubt there will be dowdy pants in Heaven.
Let love and pardon wash the gutters down.
Let hope and pity enshrine those young men.
(How many'd been kissed on the innocent down
Of their soft cheeks? How many fathers, then?)
For gall, for hubris, for mere bigotry
McDowdypants has earned some sort of prize.
Could one love oneself, having done what she
Has done? Would one be ugliest to one's own eyes?
Love for McDowdypants? I think what's meant
Are prayers that she may earnestly repent.

But, love for those who've waited long to see
"A woman President! Jamaican, too!"--
I'm sure some of that still remains in me.
I'm sure some of it still remains in you.
We need not even ask their vote on Rice,
Though she was fact where Harris is the sham,
Though she was brave and loyal, at a price,
And was a class act; Harris is a scam.
We think our sense of presidential sort
Ought to rest on things weightier than size,
But, for a President, Rice was so short...
We do not hate. We do not scream "All lies."
The only way we can get through the labor
This Admin's left behind, is love of neighbor.

1 comment:

  1. (For those who may be wondering: Yes, I'm aware that former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice saw herself as an achiever, not a campaigner, and didn't *want* to run for office. But it annoys me when people say that voting against a continuation of the present Administration means the voter doesn't think a Black woman could be President. Secretary Rice demonstrated many qualities the office requires. Harris--hello, she's been nominated *because* people want no more of the policies she's espoused *when and as they've blamed them on a White man*!

    PK

    ReplyDelete