Wednesday, August 14, 2024

Book Review for 7.30.24: The Final Assignment

Title: The Final Assignment

Author: K.C. Brennan

Date: 2020

Quote: "At 170cm tall she usually didn't wear high heels, but that day she wanted to make a statement."

And what statement might that be? "Although I am now qualified as a professor, I did not successfully outgrow the trashy-dressing stage in grade eight. I am a bimbo!"

No. This is a spy-versus-spy novel of academia. What's in the weird old book someone donated to the university library? Poison is--arsenic. Without taking the risk of opening the book, what can be learned about it? To whom is it valuable, and why?

I did not enjoy this novel. Spy-versus-spy is not my favorite genre and the characters in this book seemed particularly off-putting, always drinking and sleeping around and using ugly language. And if I wanted to "subvert Western Civilization" by portraying academics as a lot of white-collar criminals, I'd go where the real academic crimes are, the "science" that suppresses evidence to support products--historical crimes are not in the same league. Tastes differ. For people who like that sort of thing, here is the sort of thing they like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment