Friday, April 5, 2013

Morgan Griffith on Drones

Two weeks ago, I signed a petition to restrict the use of drone aircraft for domestic espionage (and, as noted below, potentially even worse things). Here's the reply I received from Ninth District Representative Morgan Griffith:

"Like you, I believe government has no business spying on Americans in the United States with drones unless the government first acquires a warrant from an appropriate court. The Constitution sets up checks and balances on the power of the government, and we must have a system of checks and balances on the President so that Americans cannot be targeted for death. While the security of our nation is paramount, I do not agree with policies that give unrestrained power to any one person, entity, or agency. Please know I will continue to carefully scrutinize executive action on drones."

"Targeted for death" makes me suspect that this was a batch e-mail, reflecting other people's comments on the petition. Nevertheless, we appreciate this response. We think anyone who wants to remain in Congress should say as much.

No comments:

Post a Comment